Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Model 11

So I got a rifle I like, a handgun I like, what am I missing? I need that SPAS back! Well, maybe not. They have gone up in price by quite a bit. I like the whole semi-auto shotgun concept, though, but was not against pump style. The sound of a pump is intimidating for home invaders and shotguns themselves are perfect for home invasion if you load it with small shot. I figured it would be a while before I bought anything anyway, but a shotgun was next on my list.
I checked out what was available in the world.
Remington Model 1100 and 10-87 tactical shotguns were nice. The first is semi-auto. Mossberg’s tactical line is also nice, like hte model 590. What I really like is the old style Browning design. The FIRST tactical semi-auto shotgun. Winchester and Remington made a version, and also some Belgian company. 100 years ago. Remington stopped making them by 1947. So that appealed to me and my love of antiquities and pre-war industrial design. I had 2 old rifles and the revolver concept is 150 years old.

On a whim, I stopped at my local gun store. They had both Remingtons there for me to inspect. Neither has a ghost ring sight and I sorta wanted one. I looked up at the rack. “What’s THAT one?” “Just got that one, I don’t even have a price on it. It’s the Browning designed Remington Model 11. Five shot, semi auto, 12 gauge. The German’s hated going against it in WWI and argued that shotguns should be against the Geneva Convention. Our guys called it a ‘Trench Broom’ because it swept the Bosch right out of the trench.” Damn. I thought it was. Well, it spoke to me, and had to come home. No sights, no sling, but the price was right, and it’s in great shape. He gave me a good price on it, too. The Browning version was called an
Auto-5 and it was popular with Bonnie and Clyde, too. Sawed off. It's also called a humpback because of the bump at the rear that gives room to the reciever action to do its thing. A few weeks later and I am at Clark Brothers, shooting at clay pigeons with it. I say shooting-at rather than just shooting, because I missed more than I hit. It was my first time powdering clays. I was happy to get 10%. But the gun is FUN! It even attracted the Range Master. He wanted to try and let me try his Italian shotgun. The trick, besides aiming right, to hitting clays with that Model 11 is to hit them early in flight. I don’t think the shortish barrel on the Model 11 is good for long range hits. Next time at the range we’ll shoot at targets and see if it patterns in such a way that it’s appropriate for any deer or duck hunting.





3 comments:

Kirk Parker said...

Careful on the use of small shot:

The Box of Truth guys have some great cautionary material about that. (On that 2nd link, see "Birdshot as a Defense Load" at the bottom.)

Tam said...

Something you might enjoy.

:)

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Yes, Tam, I just happened to be perusing your museum yesterday when I should have been working. My, you have a mighty collection of S&W revolvers there. And we share a similar fascination with history, older machining, and walnut gunstocks.

-Thud