Monday, August 27, 2007

Range Report

I went to the range this weekend with My Buddy the Gun Enthusiast (MBtGE) with several goals in mind. Results were mixed, but mostly good.

First of all, we wanted to convince me that .22LR fired from various semi-auto pistols were guanteed jam-o-matics. We got full metal jacket .22 and went to town, firing a suppressed Ruger Mk II, a standard Mk II with a bull barrel, and a Browning, all belonging to MBtGE. All worked flawlessly throughout except for one after market magazine. That one is clearly an odd-man out aftermarket mag that is not going in the trash. Don't buy budget after market mags is the answer here, and now I wouldn't hesitate to get a Ruger. My confidence in the concept is restored. I might even go for the suppressed one right out of the gate when I have the money saved. That one is probably number 3 in priority, with the Colt 1908 and 1911 .45 ahead of it. All three will probably cost a cool grand, so... it may be a while. Happy with the .22LR.

We also wanted to test the patterning of the 12 gauge Remington Model 11 (and MBtGE wanted to check his Mossburg with a longer barrel switchout.) At 50 yards the pattern is fine now that I know to aim a little low with the site less Model 11. After I figured that part out it was 100%. My Model 11 as a little groove I use to sight along and works and spreads fine. So I can go shotgun hunting no problem this deer season, I just have to have the hapless deer wander close enough to me. Happy with the 12 gauge.

MBtGE just got a lever action 30-30, so I got to test that out. It was his brother in law's and he wanted it out of the house. It hasn't been fired for 6 years, and has a scope on it. It fire beautifully and was zeroed in just fine. Not a bad little rifle. Happy with the 30-30.

I also wanted to zero the Garand with match grade ammo to be ready for hunting. I fired this cold with no practice and got all in the kill zone, a little hight at 50 yards, fine at 100 yards, as I would hope. If it was a deer instead of paper I would be eating venison. No ten-ring shooting, but good enough and consistent. I saved some ammo from that same box to use in case. Happy with the 180 grain .308.

Then I switched to plinking ammo for the Garand just for practice. Thats when the trouble happened.

It was hot and muggy in Virginia, with the temperature pushing 100. The 45 minute car ride had the AC blasting and I shot the Garand with out of the gate. There was condensation on the metal, and I probably had too much Break Free solvent/lube on the inner works from the previous cleaning session. So it was splattering a little bit. The reason for the extra lube is that I am hesitant to field strip the rifle every time I clean it to keep the tight fit I currently have from loosening up.

I had 5 clips lined up. There were 2 failures in the first 3 clips. One was a slam fire. The rifle went from semi-auto to automatic for 2 bullets. MBtGE was watching to see where my brass was flinging itself and he confirmed it. Not good. The next clip I had a "dud". A failure to fire. Just a click. I save that bullet and inspected it later. I had a small dimple in the primer, but not the standard dent of a spent case. Both symptons together makes me think there might me shmutz in the bolt that is either holding the pin back when firing, causing the dud, or holding the pin forward causing the slam fire. Other causes for the slam fire is a loose sear, where the vibration of the action caused it to release as soon as the next round was chambered. I tested a month ago to be sure the firing pin acted as expected, according to the literature, by dry firing, holding the trigger, and working the bolt manually without releasing the trigger to see if the pin was pushing up. It was working fine. I am really curious to see what the inside of the bolt looks like and have to probably buy a tool that helps me remove the firing pin from Fulton Armory or somesuch. The last 2 clips went down range without a hitch, and the rifle was good and warm then. The hunting ammo was Winchester Silver Tip in 180 grain, the plinking ammo was one I've used a lot of without issue until today, American Eagle 150 grain FMJ boat tail. So mixed reviews on the .308.

One thing. Shooting left handed shoots the hot brass right at my temple. I wore a boonie hat this time and didn't notice a thing, though MBtGE was watching cartridge after cartridge bounce off of my head. Boonie hats make me happy. And the one I have is reversible, so I can make the blaze orange side out for hunting season.

No comments: