Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Big Honking Snubbie

Saw an interesting revolver on the consignment shelf while out with MBtGE last weekend.

It's a snubbie.  Or 'snubbie' really.

I coulda swore I saw it in Tam's Arms Room on a Sunday-Smiff post.  I figured it was something they stopped making back in 1996 or something and Tam picked it up from a good friend at a gun show for 3 bills.  The price, used, in the case, for me was $1000.  But I couldn't find it on her site...

8 shot... it looks like a half inch barrel, but that's deceiving as it's on a largish frame.  Waitaminnit, they still sell those.  It's a 327.  And I've admired the longer barreled version in the past.





I got to handle a brand new one 2 days ago.  Nice features?  The cylinder gap is tighter that a frogs 5th point of contact and there is a little metal guard you can just make out in the picture that protects the top strap from fire cutting out of that gap.  It's very lightweight and comfortable, but it's not for pocket carry.  Too big.

With my recent issues with the 1911, sometimes an idea like this revolver makes me want to chuck it all, sell off every semi I own, and just carry a wheel gun.  I'll get over that sentiment soon.


5 comments:

Daddy Hawk said...

Step away from Satan's snubbie. I just sold my 325 PD in 45 ACP with a 4 inch barrel. Recoil was...unpleasant. I can't imagine lighting off a magnum round from that "barrel".

Anonymous said...

You want 40 caliber in a smaller snubbie? Charter Arms Bulldog (.44 Special, same power as 45ACP), or the new Pitbull in 40 S&W.

5 rounds, frame bigger than J, smaller than K, weighs 20 oz. Decent grips, decent price ~= $350

Anonymous said...

Before you go all crazy for a 327 or 627, you might want to time your reloads with 357 mag ammo.

Bring a calendar.....

That Guy said...

I have the 325PD with the short BBL, and while recoil is attention grabbing, it is something you can deal with. I say get it, if you like it!

Phil said...

Do it.

I was having similar issues with my preferred semi-autos and switched back to a S&W 19-6 w/a 2.5in bbl and haven't really looked back since. I will likely be snagging a 327 or 325 in the future. I will also likely begin the "re-trustification" with my semi-autos at about the same time.

I take it that you know that you can hit w/a wheel gun. Some folks just can't for the life of them.

And don't worry about "reload times" unless you have a known issue with walking into running gun battles. However, if it just a mugging/assault scenario you're worried about, 6 or 7 plus a speedloader/moon clip will do you just fine.