Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Health Update

Pinched nerve in the neck.  Cervical radiculopathy is the name for it, apparently.  The disks are herniating a little bit.  When it was pain and numbness, I didn't care, but went to the doctor when it manifested as weakness in my support hand. Especially when I raise my arm higher than my adam's apple.  Getting a pistol up to eye level is more difficult, now, while this flare up is in effect.


Pain is one thing, but the weakness concerned me.

Treated with medicines.  Muscle relaxers, steroidal anti inflammatory, then NSAIDS.

In physical therapy now.  First session was yesterday.  Now that was nice.  I have some stretches to get the muscles in my back and neck more balanced against themselves, and there is the neck stretcher machine that feels glorious.

I've slowed down my training, temporarily.  Worst case scenario, this issue gets no better I will train around the weakness and get used to it.  Practice more strong hand only shooting.  But let's see if I can make it better, first, before giving up on the right arm.  It still works, just not as well. 

3 comments:

ProudHillbilly said...

A chronic problem I have. Highly recommend an over-the-door home traction kit. Cheap and it really helps.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

bobby said...

Had the exact same issue. Doc recommended a cheap inversion rack. Got one from Amazon for about $80.

I just sit, clamp my feet in, lean back, and then I'm hanging comfortably upside down. Comes back up easily with little effort. You can buy doorway-mount bars and ankle hooks for less, but I'm not in good enough shape to get my ankles 6' off the ground and hook them to a bar - much less get down from it when I'm done.

Ten minutes twice a day, gently stretching out neck muscles. Felt wonderful the first time I used it. The problems lessened each time for about three weeks, then disappeared. I still use it once every couple of days. Stretches apart the offending vertebra, the nerves no longer get squished, no more radiculopathy.

YMMV.