Tuesday, March 9, 2021

I buy Blu Ray

To, just in case, actually have physical property of my media.  

So, you know, Hitchcock movies, Blazing Saddles, Caddyshack.  Stuff that might be cancelled and yoinked from the regular economy.

I was never a fan of Dr. Seuss.  Even as a kid.  So... Meh.  The Grinch cartoon is good!  Worth having.  So I don't need to buy Mulberry Street.

Never a fan of Gone With the Wind, neither.  I mean, I saw it, thought it plodding, the burning of the King Kong set as a stand in for Atlanta was cool, but I never saw the greater appeal.  

I have a spare DVD player, as well. 

Of course I am not the only one with this attitude.












Nobody reads Hemingway anymore.

3 comments:

Marty said...

I've been watching Jonny Quest on Saturday mornings. They thought Elmer Fudd was dangerous for child minds? They are trying to create a generation of cupcakes.

Pigpen51 said...

I have said that once I learned how to read, the only reason for me to go to school was to play sports and to learn how to play music. My parents also let me read everything that they had in their surprisingly large collection of books.
I remember the one that had the biggest, and most lasting effect on me, was Medical Block Buchenwald, by Walter Pollard, I believe. To this day, I have had an intense concern for the Jewish people.
Reading is such a fundamental part of being not only able to learn, but to continue to teach yourself and to understand both where we came from and where we are going.

Jonathan H said...

I'm concerned about that also, so I'm still buying DVDs and paper books, even though I mostly read ebooks and watch streaming.
Getting cancelled isn't the only hazard to electronic media - companies going under, unreliable internet access, changes in regulation, copyright law, and some more.
If you don't have a local physical copy without DRM, you don't own it.