Saturday, April 17, 2021

Old Time Radio

I been listening to a lot of podcasts.  Free audiobooks, and old radio shows.  Nero Wolfe is a favorite right now, but there is a literal lifetime of commutes on available out there.  For free.  

Sometime you hear snippets of commercial for upcoming programs.  70 year old promotional commercials.  "Three chimes means good times at NBC.  Stay tuned after the Adventures of Nero Wolfe for an all new hilarious episode of Duffy's Tavern."

Having grown up when I did, the TV broadcast old TV shows.  In the sitcoms of the 50s (Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy...) you can feel and hear the exact same beats from the radio shows. It's all a continuum.  

I wonder if I'd feel the same things from reading popular magazines from the 20s and 30s?  Short stories, from the Saturday Evening Post.


1 comment:

Mike V said...

My parents subscribed to the Saturday Evening Post when I was growing up, and my grandparents got Look or Life (can't remember which exactly). True Grit was serialized in the Post more than a year before the movie came out.

Reading the book in the Post then seeing the movie was the first time I realized how much gets changed and left out when a book is turned into a movie.