Friday, November 9, 2007

Mini-14 Luv

Ok, I've decided after seeing Sailor Curt's disassembly of the M1 Carbine (eggspecially the linked footage)that I need a certain Carbine. But not like YOU think. I've promoted the Mini-14 on my MASTER list to more of a major covet than it held. In other words, it's now above the cutoff line on the Secondary list.

Why? Well watching Sailor Curt's gunsmithing on the venerable M1 Carbine showed me, from experience watching MBtGE disassemble HIS Mini-14, that the works are very similar. So, again, why get a Mini-14 instead of a venerable military surplus rifle that appeals to my sense of history? The biggest reason is the ammo. Both M1 and Mini-14 fire anemic cartridges. But sometimes you need anemic cartridges for a specific job (zombies, poodles, heavy-duty plinking, so have if you have no other ammo available). The Mini-14 wins this selection because of the ubiquitous availability of the ammo. If the M1, made in 1943, fired the .223 round I'd be all over it. Someday I'm going to get a .223, I realized, and there is no getting out of it.

Secondarily, I bet I can pick up a used Mini-14 pretty cheap. Cheaper than an M1 Carbine. And brand new they aren't that expensive either. And they have been accurizing the new ones a bit, so that is good. The are handy and work like the M1. Yay.


But seeing the guts of the M1 is what pushed me over this edge. IF i get a .223


No comments: