Sunday, September 21, 2008

Carry Holster Test

I’ve been conceal-carrying. No, not OUTSIDE my home. That would be illegal in Maryland. I’m just practicing with a holstered pistol on my waist to see how various holster types feel.

Surprisingly, when I found the right spot a little to the rear of hipbone on the left side, they are quite comfortable. A vertical mag carrier on the other side is a little bit troublesome and digs in a bit, but there are horizontal magazine carriers out there to try. You don’t notice it there, much at all. Sitting in a soft easy chair or an office chair is cake. Standing carry is never a problem, by design.

The difference between the Paddle type and the Inside the Waistnand (IWB) type are, the paddle is MUCH easier to re-holster, but the IWB is better hidden. Obvious. So, go with the IWB for all but the most jacketed outside opportunities. Most likely, I’ll go through life NEVER having to unholster it, but if I did, you only have to unholster it that one time, there isn’t a lot of out then in, out then in. The Paddle is good for any future IDPA interests, where you practice more of a real life scenario in friendly competition with other shooters.

Of course, my leather holsters are decent quality Galco products, but there are better ones out there. The Milt Sparks IWB is thought very highly of, and it’s loops are separated more for a better shirt tuck. And I have a spare paddle style Serpa holster made of plastic that has a more positive locking mechanism to secure the gun in place than the snap on the Galco paddle.

I might like a Small of the Back holster for comfort, but there are anecdotes out there of falls on an icy sidewalk causing spine injuries, and back there it is easier to be disarmed by surprise.

There is one other option that is even MORE comfortable. The manpurse option. Either something like the courier bag Carteach reviewed or a fanny-pack style. There are downsides to those. The fanny pack is decent for not attracting attention, but it’s dorky. The courier bag LOOKS a bit more obvious these days, and Carteach bears that out, and it’s dorky. They ARE manpurses after all. There is the risk, because it isn’t attached that it can be put down and forgotten or even purse snatched (how humiliating to be a man that got purse snatched…) then your firearm is out of your control. Holsters are less likely to get separated from your body. Everywhere except the bathroom, where standard ablution contortions tempt you to detach the holster from your belt to accomplish the task at hand. The risk here is that the gun might fall in the terlet, or that you will put it in the toilet seat cover dispenser and you’ll forget you jammed it in there and walk away. The TSA guards have a habit of this at airports. Best solution to that is to put it in the crotch of your underwear while you sit there, like a suburban dad in his backyard hammock. Better your holster touch your skivvies than to forget it in the bathroom for an unauthorized someone to find.

I kinda like the courier bag Carteach reviewed, anyway. I don’t carry a lot of gear, normally. I have no cell phone or personal data assistant. I wouldn’t keep my billfold in there. If I had a bag like that I’d definitely add a flashlight and multi-tool. A chapstick. But that’s not much gear. Almost not enough to justify the hassle of the bag. Even adding something like an iPhone to the mix still seems sparse.

I rejected a shoulder holster out of hand. I have one to go with the Bianchi mil-style belt holster, but I don’t wear a suit jacket much and if I did I’d want to be able to take it off on occasion.

Other than the man-bag or carrying a tiny .380, how DO people carry in the summer with gym shorts and t-shirt? Or are you just stuck wearing nothing but cargo shorts and 2 shirts, t-shirt and button-down? And even then forced by excessive printing, or revealing you are carrying with an unsightly ‘bulge’ (heh), to carry smaller guns.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

T-shirts work if you wear them two sizes too large. I wear a Simply Rugged (http://www.simplyrugged.com/) "Pancake" on my belt under the T-shirt. Un-tucked of course. If you must tuck shirts in, then it gets a whole lot tougher. I stopped the tuck-in years ago and no one expects to see me any other way.

Chas S. Clifton said...

I spent years as a university professor whose typical classroom attire was tucked-in button-down shirt and khakis.

So I ended up buying a DayTimer knock-off that incorporated a holster and did not look out of place with my stack of books.

You see something like it here, but be careful, some organizers use weird off-brand pages that you can't find anywhere.

That option aside, extra-large, untucked shirts are about your only option, as the previous commenter said. Or cargo pants/shorts with pocket holsters.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Breda.

If you aren't already a member, you REALLY need to check out the "Zombie Squad" forum over at www.zombiehunters.org. It's actually a non-profit org designed to promote preparadness among the SF/Horror fan community. They also do charity fundraisers and such. The idea is that Zombies are a metaphor for any disaster..."If you can survive zombies, you can survive anything."

The forum is pretty good and we have an active firearms forum. They also run a montly postal match.

Check it out. I'm Trebor over there.

www.zombiehunters.org

Jay G said...

Smith & Wesson model 360PD, a.k.a. The Snubbie From Hell™.

Titanium cylinder. Scandium frame. Empty weight: 12 ounces.

5 rounds of .357 Magnum sound and fury.

Fits in a pants pocket.

Problem solved.

Unknown said...

I have a cheap inside the waistband holster. It's nylon cloth, etc.

Works fairly well but I've got two issues currently with concealed carry.

First off, I bought a LaserMax LMS UNI for my Ruger P-345 (grips and internal lasers are not available). And on one occasion when I first tried it together, it got turned on in my holster.

Well last night I discovered the batteries were dead. Bummer...

The other issue is I have mutant short arms. I really can't do the behind the back or behind the hip placement. I'll never be able to free my weapon. And I've tried the strong arm side placement in the front of the hip and have found it incredibly uncomfortable and restricts movement for sitting.

So basically I am currently stuck using a cross-draw holster position. My reach is not perfect, but it is manageable. However, few ranges will let you practice such a draw position. And there are some tactical concerns.

So really, my big question is HOW DO I GET MY ARMS TO GROW LONGER?

Carteach said...

Belly band holster. It can make a snubby or small auto dissapear under any loose shirt.

Umm.... Especially for us "stocky" gentlemen.

Barrett B. said...

Personally, when I am just knocking about my little town and want to leave the layers and/or man-purse at home, I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 in a DeSantis pocket holster. The only drawback I've found is that it is not quick to get at when seated.

Anonymous said...

As you consider how to carry, read through this....

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/09/deep-concealment-discharge.html

DanB

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

read that dan.

I'd never conceal carry in a pastic grocery bag with a budget furren gun on condition 1, either.

Anonymous said...

To start with, I don't wear gym shorts ever. That makes it easier.
Even during the 4 years when I lived in MS and SC I nearly always wore something that had a waistband-and a belt. When exercising I would wear sweats, and carry my pistol in a fanny pack slung over my shoulder.

All other times I wore a Bianchi pistol pocket IWB. With a loose T-shirt it kept the pistol concealed. This was before crossbreed or minotaur style holsters were on the market, but I bet they'd work even better.

Lastly, I've known a couple of people who wear thunderwear (I think they are now Smartcarry) holsters under scrubs. The gym shorts carry would be pretty much the same as scrubs I would think The above mentioned story on Xav's blog concerns a cheap knockoff combined with carrying a pistol C&L that shouldn't be carried that way. The actual smartcarry doesn't appear to suffer from that particular flaw.