Monday, May 30, 2016

Remembering

We only learnt more details of my grandfather relatively recently.  And I think about him now at this time every year now. 

You see, he may have been killed in September of '44, but he left for the Marines the day after my Mom was born two years before that.  Her birthday happens to be on or around Memorial Day.  Saw my mom, left for the Marines the next day.


Lots of memorable things to remember around this time.  Memorial Day was also the time I reported to this current job over a decade ago.  Well, the day after.  And four years ago, Memorial Day, was my last cigarette.  I think it was four.  I am not sure.  I am sure it was Memorial Day.  

I am indeed fortunate I don't have anything closer to me than a fallen grandfather to remember this day.  Other folks aren't so lucky.

2 comments:

Comrade Misfit said...

You were fortunate to be able to get his service records.

Millions of them were lost forever in the fire at the records repository in St. Louis in 1973.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

The communications men were the bravest of the brave. They worked in front of the front, going on their bellies from hole to hole, dragging a spool of wire with a Kabar or a .45 in one hand.