Friday, June 4, 2021

Battles

Saw this meme on the internet:

 



I've a degree in history, and I like war stuff.  I should be able to think of a bunch and... oh crap.  I can't.  Not a bunch.  Two leap to mind.  Tours with Charles the Hammer in the 700s turning back the Muslim Horde, and Agincourt in the large 1300s where Henry the Vee had long bowman make pin cushions out of the flower of French chivalry.  

That’s as good as I can do with dates.

Now I have to think.

Right!  1066 and all that.

Longshanks at Bannockburn. 

I could DuckDuckGo, and I will when I give up.


----


CRAP!  Agincourt was in the early 1400s


4 comments:

Bob said...

Lepanto.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Of course I leap to Lepanto, I was in the navy. But it didn't feel so medieval to me.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I just have a hard time calling post Columbia time periods medieval. Just me tho, how can that subjective judgment be official?

Windy Wilson said...

Crecy? I used to know a couple of battles fought by the Swiss against the Habsburgs in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, but more useful information took their places.
Appreciation and respect for the nutters from the Swiss Cantons remains, however.