Sunday, December 13, 2009

Military Channel

SO I'm watching the Military Channel, and I see a preview for a show that started last week about snipers. It's a promotional commercial so they repeat a bunch of times and each commercial break. There is one scene that doesn't sit right with me.

They show a sniper's trigger pull. It look REALLY jerky, and the finger is in there way past the second knuckle. The scene is over quick and we don't see the target he was shooting at.

Sorry, I can't find a video of the promo.

Maybe there is some technique I don't know about, but it seems that all the long distance shooters I observed that shoot and hit distant targets are cool and still as a statue. The pad of their finger tip is what does the work, and the movement is imperceptible except for the recoil.

I'd love to hear an explanation other than the one in my head. The explanation kicking around up there is the TV people staged it for the 'action' in the preview video.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

NOt the way I was taught, nor the way any sniper I know was taught... fingertip only, surprise break, etc...

UNLESS, they were showing the WRONG way to do it!

Hat Trick said...

NJT, I think you got it in the last paragraph. It's the ad people staging it for the preview.

Unless they were thinking about how they could get a real shooter's attention and purposely did it wrong.

elmo iscariot said...

I was actually just talking about cable history documentaries a couple weeks ago with a filmmaker friend whose worked in TV production.

Chances are that footage was shot by a specialty production company that dragged out a warehouseload of uniforms and weapons along with one or two actors, and spent a day filming simple action shots for a stock footage database. When the Military Channel wants to put together a doc or a commercial, they can just search the database of footage, select what they want, and pay by the minute.

There are obviously exceptions--lots of these shows obviously shoot a bunch of original footage--but a hell of a lot of their material comes from stock companies.

Ride Fast said...

Posers can't fool pro's. It's why so much of what's shown about guns is just entertainment.

Too much work to check with a pro and it would never occur to non-gunnies that you do anything but yank that trigger.