Saturday, November 24, 2012

Garand guts

Lots of fiddly little details on how the guts of a Garand work.  Stuff I didn't know.  Like both sets of teeth on the seer that make the semi-auto trigger possible.  The way the hammer turns the bolt if it has to to fully seat it and won't hit the firing pin home otherwise.  Man on man, I like this kind of detail and info and I am just amazed at what gun designers like Garand and Browning came up with to solve problems, thinking up solutions in their head, then making a thing out of metal that worked.  Complicated enough, but not too complicated.



4 comments:

Daniel E. Watters said...

FWIW: JMB had already used the double hook design in his designs for the Auto-5 semi-auto shotgun and the Remington Model 8 semi-auto rifle.

Old NFO said...

Yep, and they STILL work as advertised... :-)

Stretch said...

I dare anyone to fire to PING and not smile.
In the "clash of technologies" field: I used my tablet to watch a YouTube video to properly reassemble my Garand. Mid 20th Century meets the 21st and makes win!

Keads said...

The Garand is a thing of beauty.