Friday, November 9, 2012

Range Report

Jeff Cooper is good for something.

I went to the range, after WAY too long since my last time... And now I shoot the best session of my life.

I forgot to do everything.  Purposefully, too, for the most part, once I realized it.  I didn't hold my breath, spend too much time with the grip, flex my knees, get my feet just so.  I did two things, as Cooper would say:  "Front Sight... Press."  I focused on the front sight, and didn't mash the trigger as is my wont, causing me to 'push' the pistol.  I let it surprise me.  I got the hang of letting the trigger surprise me.  Finally!



And from the first round to the end.... only a coupla three was off the target area.  And I called those as I shot them.





Look at these!  These are excellent, for me.  Still low and right, gut only a few inches low and right rather than almost a foot.  Because, let's face it... I'm never going to shoot the wings off a fly, a dime in mid air, or the eyeball out of a charging rhino.  But THIS level of accuracy with a CCW pistol?  I can live with that.  And doing so well is a joy for me.  Makes we wanna practice more.

Of course, 5 years is a long time to figure something out, and when I say I 'forgot to do everything' some of the right things are now just natural habit.  Like my grip.  That needs very little tweaking once I remember to think about it.

4 comments:

Bubblehead Les. said...

Too Bad you're gonna have your Firearms Confiscated during Obama's Second Term... ; )

Wilson said...

Thanks for the link, it was great to see the Colonel again.

Anonymous said...

Woo -hoo! gun content! Pictures of things you shot! Now just add firearm and target distance!

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

7 yards. Colt 1911 Commander sized.