Monday, February 5, 2018

Biggest Hand Cannon

I was almost certain that both Clint Eastwood AND Charles Bronson, used a .44 AutoMag in a movie in the 80s.  Nope.  Just Dirty Harry.  Paul Kearsey used a Wildey.  I should have remembered that.

Was thinking on the Auto Mag because of a post by Zombie Island.

Both gun were argued to be the most powerful production handgun in the world, at that time.  Which is true, I guess.  Just like it was pretty much true for the Model 29 S&W .44 before them.  And after them X-Frame Smiths would bump the notch up a little higher with their .50.  Sorta.

As kids we sure TALKED about the Automag a lot... Like we knew it to be the bees knees.  The living end.  If I may be allowed to use that slang vernacular from the early 1980s.  Aces!  I didn't know, then, why everyone didn't want one.  Of course as a young head full of pap, I barely considered recoil control, and didn't think at all about size and weight, or mechanical reliability, or cost.  And I was also ignorant of the business practices.


3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Huh, didn't know that. I don't think I've ever seen one in real life (Automag that is).

Will said...

Had a friend who carried a .44AutoMag as a deputy sheriff. Said one of it's useful features was that racking it sort of sounded close to a shotgun, without having to haul one of those around when checking doors and alleys in a bad town. (East Palo Alto in the 70's- Old NFO, you might remember that place not far north of Moffett NAS)

Comrade Misfit said...

Some company's trying to bring them back.

Probably be well north of $3.5K.