Wednesday, August 15, 2018

I have never been accused

...of having small hands.  They aren't big, but they aren't stubby fingered either.

Now, I have been convinced up til now, that, idealy, when gripping a pistol you want to get the bore in line with your wrist bones and elbow.  This makes your major bones line up the gun and absorb the recoil, instead of just the wrist.

This is easy with the 1911.  For me, at least.  But try it with the old school M1917 revolver and shoot double action.  I can get enough finger onto the trigger to draw it back with confidence and alacrity.

The same with most all double stack guns.  Glock 17, darn near any SIG, what have you.  My Hudson goes out of the way to make itself as slim as possible and I still have to crank my hand around to get my fingertip on the trigger without making lots of contact on the grip and frame.

If I don't put enough fingertip pad on the trigger face I push rounds to the side.

So, in the choice between lining up with the elbow, or getting my finger in the right place, I defer to the finger.

Future tests I must try:  With all the swappable back straps going around on new pistol offereings, I think I'd like to experiment with the smaller offerings. 

2 comments:

Mike V said...

The interchangeable backstrap on the S&W M&P line is a strong selling point.

Jonathan H said...

I don't like the Glock 17; it doesn't feel right in my hands. I like my Glock 21 which feels much better. To me, the only real difference is the thickness of the grip, for which backstraps would not make a difference.