Monday, January 11, 2021

Shave every day and you'll always be clean

I ran across this ad the a tube of shaving cream from Palmolive.



I bet there was no Palm oil or Olive oil in this tubes. 

For those too young to know, shaving cream came in what looked like tooth paste tubes back then.  You could lather it up with a shaving brush in a bowl or on your face.  Or even lather is up in your hands, no brush, and then apply it to your face.

1953.  About the time Dad would have started shaving as a teenager.  

Of course I didn't meet him until the 1970s.  He used cans of Colgate shaving cream then and a safety razor.  When cartridge of dual blade Trac II razors came out he quickly switched over and had a lot less toilet paper on his face in the mornings. 

I said all that because of this... I wonder when canned shaving cream came out, with its evolutionary leap in convenience?  Help me Internet Kenobi, you are my only hope.

Ah, it was Rise shaving cream in 1949.  I guess it took some time to convert folks over.  But feasibly Dad could have used canned shaving cream his whole life.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

My dad used a shaving mug, brush and a safety razor. I do remember him putting some shaving cream on my chin and shaving me with his finger. It would have been in the late 50"s.

I did find out that I attempted to shave with his razor when I was 3 or 4. Walked in on my mom looking like I got in a slapping contest with a bobcat. I don't recall it but I do pity my poor dad. My mom was not on to forgive and forget.

Gerry