Tuesday, January 19, 2021

What is the funniest movie ever?

Okay, for me, it will always be Raising Arizona.  I saw it on the perfect night.  I was in the mood to receive all it offered.  I hurt myself laughing.

Mel Brooks did two of the contenders.  Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein.

I LIKED Groundhog Day a lot, but not the funniest movie.  There are lots of comedies that have much to recommend them as a movie but aren't laugh out loud funny through the full runtimes.  Big Lebowski is like that.

Caddyshack and Animal House are in the running.

Airplane!, of course.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail for some people.  I loved it.  Not all do.  

Pineapple Express when they shift it into overdrive.  Was not expecting that.  But it puts it on the list for me.

Me Myself and Irene for me.  Though Jim Carrey usually annoys me to distraction.

Clerks

And Arsenic and Old Lace.



6 comments:

Miguel GFZ said...

I have to go with the one that made me laugh the most when I saw it first and that would be Airplane!
The rest of your list is almost all good ones and I do have a special place for Arsenic and Old Lace.

"Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops."

McChuck said...

I'll add Bringing Up Baby and Dr. Strangelove to the list of great comedies.
As for funniest movie, my vote goes to The Mouse that Roared.
My pick for best comedy (not necessarily funniest) goes to Being There.
I do seem to like Peter Sellers.

Mike V said...

Add “Oh Brother, Where Art Thou” to the list! Hysterically funny, eminently quotable, and a great country/bluegrass soundtrack.

It is sad to realize Blazing Saddles could never be made in today’s environment.

B said...

Mike: Nor could Airplane be made.

But it's damned funny nonetheless. I ahve a black friend who loves the "I speak Ju=ive" bit. le laughs every time until tears run.

and yes, he's old enough to remember.

ProudHillbilly said...

Arsenic and Old Lace. Hands down.

Observer said...

I agree with "The Mouse that Roared" and would add "The Lady in Red" and "A Shot in the Dark"