Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Appleseed

There is a group that does weekend shooting and training you can find at appleseedinfo.org.

I need more info to be sure they aren’t REAL wackos plotting to overthrow the gov’t and take revenge for Waco and Ruby Ridge. I don’t need the headache of being on Homeland Security list for that kind of thing. Occasionally I need to fly to visit my Mother. I doubt they are that kind of group, but want to make sure they are nothing more than a modern rifle-shooting enthusisast group with and Amercian Revolutionary War interest tacked on. If that is indeed what they are then they are right up my alley.

They get kinda close in November, with an event Mechanicsburg VA. Coupla three hours from here. If they are just ‘gun wackos’ that is good, because, well, a lot of my friends are that kind. Nice people too. Despite what Democrat politicians say.

Most importantly, they can instruct the HECK out of me, and for a reasonable fee entry fee. I’ll try to get MBtGE to come with. There is plenty of time to consider. It is hunting season, though, so… It may be a toss up.

I’d love to get some comments from people that have attended or links to a blog with an After-Action report on an event.

They use paper targets and stopwatches to gauge your skill and to simulate 500 yard man-sized silhouettes, I believe. Obviously the outline is smaller to represent a zombie very far away, and I bet they instruct how to adjust your iron sights elevation for the REAL, long-distance, thing. I’d bring the Garand and… gulp, 500 rounds. I don’t think I’ll have a spare rifle. MAYBE the .22 bolt action in case the Garand breaks in such a way I can’t attend to it. I doubt I will have acquired an M1A, and if I do, I’ll have had to have a few weekends of prep time to familiarize myself and break the new rifle in.


Heh, as an aside, I still have issue calling magazines, ‘clips’, and part of the problem if I use a Garand. What it uses for reloads are properly called clips: En-bloc clips. Not that big a deal, but it makes me look like an idiot when I call my 1911 mags clips.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are indeed nice people. As am I. I've attended (in Georgia) one, a weekend event, and came away with not only a sense of pride but enhanced skills. You'll love it. BTW, events are scheduled for Florida and south Georgia in the near future.

Anonymous said...

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/

Here you go....

Mc said...

The Mechanicsville appleseeds are, I believe, mini appleseeds- afternoon events with a 25 meter course.

I would highly recommend downloading the 25 meter version of the AQT from the Appleseed site. I use it with my m1 carbine as my weekly rifle training.

check in at md shooters.com I know there have been a couple of threads about getting a local group together to attend a shoot.

Anonymous said...

I attended an Appleseed in Yakima, WA, in April 2007, with my Garand, and blogged it here:

http://jeffersonian.therealgunguys.com/blog0704.html#1457

It was worth the trip, and my skill with a rifle was improved.

Anonymous said...

Just finished my 3rd Appleseed. Great people, outstanding instruction, worth more than 3x the asking price. Nothing better than a day at the range with like minded folks. While there may be some mall-ninjas, Wii Snipers and Secret Squirrels, I haven't seen and "wacko's".