Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tamara and the 17th

Tamara has posted on a subject near and dear to my heart... repealing the 17th amendment. She wrote the essay I wish I had enough talent to write myself. Luckily, SHE does, so now I don't have to attempt it in my own fumbling manner.

THAT is a Jacobin amendment. It is impossible to repeal the 2nd (it's just one of a list of inalienable rights that can never be rightly taken, only taken via oppression), but THAT 17th one can be repealed in a second, as it is mere tinkering with the gov't structure parts of the Constitution.

Hooray Federalism.

Sadly, it is too obscure an issue to get any traction in a repeal effort. Only History geeks know about it and have an opinion about its efficacy.

Tam and I have the same opinion. And it isn't "repeal the 17th please." It's: "REPEAL THE GULDURN 17TH YESTERDAY, YOU INCOMPETENT MORON CHOWDERHEADS!!!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Screw that. The 16th is the one that has to go!!!

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

When the 2nd is as secure as the first, I'll concentrate on the 4th and 5th. I'll work my way up to the 16th and 17th after.

I'm not a fan of the 22nd, either. And DC will need to repeal the 23rd if they want legal voting representation in Congress or to become a state.

The 26th should read "25 or greater," I think, somedays.

Brian said...

If you are interested in more information concerning the 17th Amendment, please check out my weblog, Repeal the 17th Amendment. Along the right hand side of the page I have posted a number of journal articles that explain the history and ramifications of the amendment.

http://repealthe17thamendment.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
BD