Monday, April 28, 2008

Taurus

Taurus has a lesser reputation. I sort of agree. If you are going to pop down $500 for a revolver, you might as well come up with a couple hundred more and get a Smith and Wesson. Smith and Wesson doesn't have the volume of anecdotes of "then I had to send it back to the factory because it came out of the box broken." Plus I don’t like the 2-dot sight system Taurus uses.

But they DO make a
.45 ACP 'Colt 1917' style revolver, and that is on my tertiary list. (I saw it on NRAhab) By being on the tertiary list it is obviously not a type that I must have or would use primarily. For a backup gun, maybe a little economy is in order.

So I am entertaining the possibility of the Taurus for a .45 ACP revolver and will adjust the Master List accordingly.


Here's a picture of the Colt original 1917 model:


And the Taurus version. Dunno about that silly porting, but it's not on the snub versions of same. And they don't make them anymore, so I'd have to buy it used. Boo.



All is not lost if Taurus versions are scarce in the used market. I saw 3 various 1917 models in the case at Bass Pro, so the model isn't going away.

2 comments:

Tam said...

Have you looked into the S&W 625, or Smith's reproduction of their own WWI 1917 revo?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

A smith is where I lean to for when I pull the trigger on this purchase. But I didn't know a reproduction was available. Now I lean that way if I can't get a vintage one.