Monday, June 23, 2008

Breda Requests...


If Tam and I are rock stars, she's selling out stadiums and I'm playing at the county fair. I'd like to know why you started shooting, and how recently. -Breda

Don't sell yourself short, Breda. I bet you get more comments per post than Tam does, recently.


Oooooo, I said "short" and you are only 5 foot nuthin! Sorry about that. No offense meant. Remember I thought you wrote taller, assuming you 5'8".

Aw shucks, THAT old story? You don't wanna hear that. I went over that when I started this thing.

No?

Well, then. Gather the chillin' round in a circle, and Uncle T-Bolt will tell a story.

MBtGE made me.

What? More detail? Ok.

I was always kinda interested. BB gun and 20 gauge very rarely as a kid. A 1911 in the military... then a long pause, filled with poverty and a leftist hoplophobic ex. (She's not voting for Obama. Thinks him too conservative.) Finally, a computer geek job with a computer geek buddy. A buddy that grew up in upstate New York on an orchard. And he had guns.

That's My Buddy the Gun Enthusiast.

I had the interest and the income, but a little guidance and push down the slippery slope was all I needed.

Plus Y2K was coming. And I didn't want to have to stock up on can goods. Let my neighbors do that, I'll just stock up on a coupla boxes of ammo.

So MBtGE introduced me to pistol ranges and let me try his handguns so I could pick what I wanted.

Got a .357 revolver as the .44 was a bit unwieldy.

Time passed.

Got a Garand and it sat around.

Then MBtGE let drop he found a rifle range about a year ago. And range visits started happening once a month, minumum

Then this blog started. And many other blogs were read.

It sorta snowballed a bit at that point. Bought a few more. Then slowed the money burn. And now here we are. With only a few guns on the "want list" and really ONE serious one.

And I can go to a gun range all by myself like a big boy, now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahem.

breda said...

you see, TBolt, my petite stature indicates concentrated wit and intelligence.

Thank you for the story.

Mike W. said...

You're right. It starts slow and then snowballs, this whole gun nut thing.

I'm up to 5 guns and an upper and 8 months ago I'd never even shot a gun.

I remember being interested in BB guns as a kid also. Mom would never let me have one though. All I had were capguns.