Friday, June 6, 2008

M1A Scope Mount, et al.

So what are the thoughts among both readers on the scope rail mounts for the M1A? (I don't have it yet. That will be a while. I do have a coupla magazines so I HAVE to get it, someday...)

There are 3 main types I'm looking at. All courtesy of Fulton Armory, which will probably be my purchase source as well.

An inexpensive aluminum version. Sort of an "Overhanging type"




This one is probably a non-starter. Aluminum and all. But no fear...

A better steel version of similar style but with an extra mount point to the rifle, and 3 times as expensive is available.





And even MORE pricey, the ARMS 18 US Gov't Issue. It is more expensive still because you have to get a another bit to mount to the mount.



I want to take the Garand into Fulton Armory for a check-up, but don't want to NOT have a rifle at home so that will happen after I get an M1A. While there I will ask many questions, but you people may have some insight that will get me ahead of the learning curve.

Can you use the iron sight and any or all of these mounts? I believe you have to remove the scope to use iron sights on the ARMS 18. My impression is the Overhang type doesn't obstruct the sights at all, but I may be wrong. I like the Tritium foresight a lot and may have to get one.
Does the Overhang type obstruct extracting shell in action? Does the ARMS 18, for that matter?
While on the subject of M1A accessories there is another question in my mind. This forestock weaver under rail is useful for attaching a bipod, but I was wondering if it wasn't too far forward on the stock to be used for a foregrip? I think so.





I have a feeling if I want a foregrip, ever, I will have to spend the big bucks on a whole new modernized stock system, or mangle the original walnut stock. And if I got the stock that, the scope mount rails will be inappropriate. I have to divine the future and decide what I want before I buy anything to avoid overlap. For modernized stock option, I'll have to live with iron sights until I can afford it, if I drop cash on a good scope rail mount, then I better forgo the stock until I am super rich. (The modern stock IS a scope mount, and its flip down iron sights are designed to witness, for the most part. As always, correct me if I am wrong.)
There are other advantages to the modernized stock. It puts in the butt more in line with the barrel, for less muzzle flip, similar to Eugene Stoner's innovation with the AR-10, and the higher set iron sights are part of the same innovation.


Today, this minute, I may be leaning toward never getting a scope at all. If I want a 10x scope perhaps I should get a bolt-action for deer and zombie sniping. Iron sights are good and robust and fine for the fun I'd have with the gun.
If it naturally shoots very well in THIS amateurs hands, then a scoped M1A will come to the fore again to see what it can truly do.

But in reality, since I am a bit of a n00b, prudence says I should probably leave the rifle well enough alone, as stock as possible, and not get a lot of whiz bang accessories. Stock configuration was good enough for the serious business it was designed for, and who am I to question that? I am disciplined enough to hold off buying the thing for a bit, I should be disciplined enough to get better at shooting with it before hanging anything else off of it besides a Tritium fore sight. That type of fore sight is a boon to peep-sight type guns, I bet.


5 comments:

Turk Turon said...

As far as the M1A scope mounts go, I have the first and second types. The recoil from the rifle battered the aluminum mount until it failed. Peened it to death. The steel one (#2) will survive the recoil. I use one of those oddball Shepherd scopes, but I like it.

Go with the steel mount. I don't know about the others.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Can you use your iron sights with those two mounts, turk?

Turk Turon said...

Y'know, I gotta go home and check that out, I don't remember. But I DO remember what Boston's Gun Bible says: "Two weeks after the balloon goes up, iron sights will rule the world." (Clint Smith, as I recall). So fully functional iron sights are important. I'll get back to ya.

Turk Turon said...

OK, I took some photos and made a blog entry, which may be found here:
http://turonistan.blogspot.com/2008/06/springfield-m1a-smith-mount-and.html

Anonymous said...

you can get them from sarko inc for alot cheaper also cheaper than dirt has a nice mount mine is aluminum and has been on my rifle since new maybe 5000 rounds have been fired through it. only problem I have is nics from brass ejecting a file and some prime and paint and good to go. And double check not all have the channel for your Iron sights, which I use and I use the scope to check my shots. Springfield M1A is a great rifle and I wish it was in service when I was in for everyone.