Monday, January 19, 2009

Accuracy Illumination

So I shoot pistols at center mass size target areas at 25 feet most frequently. Fine for self defense. I’ve done some practice at interview distance and you don’t need to squint to see the holes. But what if I need to shoot out a street light with a pistol. A light 75 feet away.

Oh great. 75 feet? And when I miss, I don’t know WHERE I missed. Too high? Too low? It goes to the whole, “I really should have groups that center on the BULL, and not consistently hit a little off.”

At least you know when you DO hit the street light.

Why would I need to take out rogue streetlights? Are they a danger to me? What is the tactical consideration?

Well, maybe Zombies need light for their target acquisition. I’m not supposed to give away too many details, according to RoMERO. I never understood the need for that security measure. Ostensibly it’s supposed to quell panic. That level of detail makes the Zombies more REAL in the public’s mind and adds to their general consternation. I am of the opinion that people are mature enough to be better prepared for the Zed Menace. Here’s a detail: SOME Shamblors DO need light to see. Not all, of course.

And what if I need to shoot out the neighbors porchlight? I mean come ON! Who needs a 350 watt bulb to light his walk? I’d rather have the sun streaming in my window. Bastage.

That said, I SHOULD be able to hit a target the size of a street light 75 feet away with a pistol pretty reliably, dontcha think. Better add that range to the training regimen when I get better at 25 feet..

3 comments:

Bunnyman said...

Sounds like a job for steel plates or bowling pins, if you can manage it. Possibly the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Anonymous said...

That is the same as a head shot at 25 yards.

Earl said...

Quit practicing at lesser distances, do all your shooting at 25 yards, you will be shocked at how tight your 21 foot target groups will get.