Monday, January 12, 2009

Range January

Ok, I went to the range again last Tuesday. Only a week after my previous visit. Definitely noticeably better shooting.

I ran the first mag against this target, 2, 2, 2, 2, then 1 each. Meh. Not too bad. Especially for shooting ‘blind.’ As in, I couldn’t see the holes until I pulled the target back after the first 8. I’d shoot two, put the gun down, then shoot the next 2. All the break up the rush I am prone to.


Note: all ranges are 25~ feet unless specified.

I’m definitely not close to a one-shot stop against zombie heads, so let’s hope the Zed Necropalypse isn’t imminent. If it is, I’ll only be ok at beating back the horde. But it’s not bad for ordinary self-defense.

Next up is using the splatter targets.





Hmmm. I shoot a hair low. Especially at the head target. I think I am averse to hitting the target clamp at the range and shot low involuntarily. Again, not accurate enough at ALL for zombies. This means using a .22 for self-defense is not a good idea for me, as there is no way I am hitting tear ducts when that is the only reliable way to stop an assailant with a .22. Better stick to center mass with cartridges that start with a .4… or a .3…sumthin… magnum.



Anyway. The slow down during firing helped. The errors are less, tighter groups, but are still right of center, and sometimes, just low.

There are fewer “Oh, CRAPs!” where a shot is WIDE and you know it as soon as the trigger breaks. True fliers, they. Those are lessened with experience, and I am getting more experienced. If they ALL get in a splatter target sized circle, none way off, and none just off, that will be a big stride forward for me.

I forget what it’s called, but the trigger of the 229 (and many other trigger types) have a spot where, after you fire, if you slowly release the trigger you feel a click and can fire again without releasing the trigger all the way. It allows for fast second shots, supposedly. I played with this a bit, and noticed no extra speed, but no lessening of speed or accuracy either. I don’t know the purpose of this, other than preference for the shooter. I believe Todd Jarrett actually does a trigger slap, normally considered something to be avoided. He mentioned it in one of his online videos. You pull the trigger, then release it all the way, even taking your finger all the way off the trigger in the follow through. At least I think he did/explained it that way, I’ll have to find the video clip again. I don’t know the purpose for this either other than preference. And it’s hard to argue with Todd Jarrett’s results. Again, it all probably comes down to training and preference.

I was dry firing the 1911, and my Springfield seems to have this spot on the trigger. A tried a Colt 1911 at CCW training and it didn’t. Interesting. Maybe I’m just crazy and wrong. Maybe it’s a feature.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1st the trigger phenom: it's called trigger reset/sear set/catching the link. All single action autos have it to one extent or another. The reset on a Smith DA/SA is 1/16th of an inch of movement while a Glock is significantly more. It can be very usefull as you improve your shooting. Just remember to "press" (just add pressure) the trigger.

2nd the targets: It would appear that you have several problems to overcome at the same time. Not to worry, is easy. (A)Focus on the FRONT SIGHT until after you've finished the string. You appear to be shifting your focus after each shot, trying to see where the shot went. Don't! (B)You have a flinch. Only cure for that is dry fire. If you have a laser pointer, tape it to the gun for dry fire. You'll see all the "bad stuff" happening as you practice.

Hope that helps a little.

/sennin/