Saturday, April 17, 2010

Minor

What I learned from Jeff Cooper: Get a major caliber semi-auto to carry. Failing that, a major caliber revolver, failing that a minor caliber semi, failing that a minor caliber revolver.

So what is my preference for carry, what am I MOST likely to have on me when carrying? A minor caliber revolver.

Cooper would be so disappointed. Well, he’d be pleased that I carried SOMETHING. The whole, “when in a gun fight, HAVE a gun” thing. But I spend most of my time in a state where I can’t even do that…

Dang.

Well, the snubbie CAN essentially become a major caliber revolver by loading it with .357. I just don’t. May have to think on that.

When Cooper came up with his recommendations there were a lot more major caliber revolvers to look at. I’m guessing he came up with that 25 + years ago. Back then my gunshop would HAVE a .41 or a shorter .44. I don’t think I’ve seen either type in any of my gunstores. There is that one .45 revolver by Taurus. But I’m not gonna carry a Judge, concealed.

So, what to do? What is my course forward? Nothing. Probable just doing what I’m doing. The situation does not call for a corrective. It’s all a compromise of one way or another. And I am comprmising on the easier portability. The snub is the largest caliber concealable pistol I can carry in minimalist summer clothing. I'd rather carry a 1911 or SIG P229, but I can't always. The snubbie can go everywhere. The SIG is actually a preferred companion to the snubbie, vis the 1911, in a way, as they are both Double Action types with no safety. When I go to full time 1911 carry I'll need to train hard and sorta 'put away' the DA pistols so I won't vapor lock in an emergency and keep pulling a trigger without disengaging the safety.


Shoot, a PISTOL is a compromise. Using a rifle or shotgun at that one rare time when you actually NEED to shoot some threat is the preferred way to go, but you carry the pistol because you can’t arrange for that emergency situation ahead of time.

6 comments:

Borepatch said...

Cooper's opinions solidified a half century ago. I remember some very interesting posts that Kim du Toit put up about how much bullet design had advanced over the last 25 years.

I wonder if the good Col. would reassess his opinion in light of the technology changes.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

There's a thought. WWCS. What Would Cooper Shoot. If, yaknow, he was born 60 years later.

George said...

I live in Arizona, the hot part. I'd like to carry my 1911, and sometimes do, but, largely due to convenience and warm weather (it's gonna be 90 today) I carry the S&W 442 - electroless nickel. She is loaded with 110 gr. CorBon. The Colonel probably would have said something like 'sweat, don't suffer fashion, and carry the 1911.
AND don't rely on magic bullets to
do the job of physics.'

Old NFO said...

Cooper had a good real world basis for his recommendations, I really don't think he'd change them today... And yes, we carry something, which is ALWAYS better than nothing!

Huey said...

well I guess I would give Cooper a good laugh if he knew that my normal carry pistol has turned into a Ruger LCP....

its so easy to carry I can only find an excuse NOT to have it on me when I am in a restaurant that serves alcohol, and this may even be a thing of the past of my state legislature here in Ohio does the right thing soon...

sofa said...

Consider a Colt Commander or Kimber Ultra. Fine machines, in .45ACP.