Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Another M1A stock option

From McMillan, an M1A stock called the M3A.  

Look!  A non wood stock!  I bet I can get McMillan to just sell me the stock…  

But look again.  All that aluminum rail up front.  You’d want and use maybe 15% of that acreage, the rest is dead weight.  But I shant be too hasty…  Let’s see what else McMillan has to offer.

Well hush my puppies, they DO have stocks without extra stuff.  In fact you can customize the extra stuff you DO want.  4 inches of rail here, but not there… that sort of thing.  Oooo, I better not look at the price list and whether or not I’d need to glass bed this sucker…  From their website:

So that’s good, but that also sounds pricey.  Still, nice to have options.
“McMillan's stocks are custom made to your order. Rather than having to settle for a few off-the-shelf configurations, we give you great flexibility in ordering a stock exactly to your personal specifications. Due to the custom, technical nature of our products, we highly recommend that you consult with one of our product representatives during the ordering process. Feel free to call us by phone and discuss your project. We are always happy to spend time with a shooter to make sure you get exactly what you need.”

8 comments:

Frozen said...

With McMillan you get what you pay for. Granted that means you do spend some $, but you also get a lot of stock. Combine that with the customization and there is no wonder they are considered some of (if not THE) best stocks out there.

Oh, and the military uses them.

Anonymous said...

Would your shooting experience be $3000 better than wood?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

You got me there, Anon. I don't think I'd pay $500 for the increase in shooting experience I could expect to get. And that's how much the other stock costs.

I suspect the McMillan is the HEAVIEST of the 3 choices, walnut, McMillan, and JAE-100. And since saving weight is one of my bigger priorities, that could be bad.

Cal said...

I saw a SOCOM version at the gun shop near me that had a nice stock with rails. Way cheaper than just this stock.

Anonymous said...

My DMR is built on an McMillan M3 sans rails. outstanding platform, but you're right it's not a "drop in"

Old NFO said...

Frozen is dead on the money! McMillian's are NOT cheap, but they will last forever with a little care.

Angus McThag said...

P.O.R. : What you are going to be after paying for this item.

Ryan said...

Have you considered an EBR style stock?