Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I just bought one of these.

I have the carry on size luggage version of a Pelican case for the rare times I wanna fly (which will be rarer still until TSA gets fixed.)

You know what else they make?  Rifle cases. 1750 model.


Oh sure, they SAY camera case, but look at the picture that also goes with it.





Yeah... long thin cameras.  Loud cameras.

Also useful for air travel if you want to take a rifle.  You have to check it in baggage, and be able to lock the firearm in a hard sided case.  Voila.

Now the next question...  The foam is a 3 layer sandwich.  Presumably, you carve a cut out in the middle layer to custom fit it to your rifle.  Or you can eschew the middle layer all together if you don't anticipate a lot of jostling.  What to do, what to do? 

They are a bit spendy, but I got mine on sale for even less than the linked item's price.  If I go to Northcoast, I may as well test it out. Ooo, the price was closer to this one.

6 comments:

Boat Guy said...

I bought the checked-baggage size some years ago as (believe it or not)my deployments actually involved commercial air on some of the legs. I would pack my "other stuff" underneath one foam sheet and then put my weapons on top of the foam. My M16A3 (broken in half) fit on this top layer along with an M9 and mags etc.

Nancy R. said...

Camera? Sure! "Smile and wait for the flash!"

45er said...

I saw dozens of those come through when I was a hunting guide and I never once saw a rifle damaged or even a scope out of alignment after a trip through the hell that is airport luggage. That's a great investment if you plan to travel with your firearms. Also, you can get the foam cut professionally (Pelican will pre-cut but you already bought it) or go the DIY route. I've heard freezing works well or using an electric knife.

Anonymous said...

Definately cut the middle layer. And do it a little under-sized, so the rifle fits snug and the foam compresses around it when packed. This will keep it completely secure.

I have two of these cases, and frequently travel with some very expensive rifles. I've never had a problem. And... don't try to fit the kitchen sink in there. Use it for the rifle, and an empty magagazine. Everything else can travel elsewhere.

LC

Anonymous said...

Great cases although the wheel bearings tend to give out after a while. The last time I traveled with long guns I used an old hard shell golf club travel case. It is easier wheeling around the airport concourse.

Boat Guy said...

+1 on the hard-shell golf case. Mine fits two long gun cases, so I can take two long guns while only "checking" one bag.