Saturday, October 12, 2013

Gyurza

That's a new one on me.  9mm Gyurza.  Never heard of that round.

And there is a plethora of 9mm pistol round variations out there.  From the 9mm Kurz to the 9mm Corto to the .380ACP (.38 inches is about 9mm.).

I've blogged about this before, I think.

And, truth be told, those 3 examples are the same round.   So there are dozens of different 9mm cartridge types, times 3 in monikers.

But when you think about it, that's not to strange.  I mean you could say the same about .3 inch rounds on various bottles, and .45 inch rounds.  7mm.  There is only so many increments, I guess. 

But I had never heard of Gyurza.  Now I want a 1911 chambered in 9mm Gyurza.  I'll start looking.  Except the ammo might be hard to find, being designed to defeat body armor in a pistol caliber package.

3 comments:

Borepatch said...

I always order Gyurza when I'm at a Japanese restaurant. They're delicious. Trader Joes's has really good frozen Gyurza that you can make at home.

Mark/GreyLocke said...

Uhhh My Tokarev will defeat Level III Body armor. As long as there is no trauma plate it will penetrate the front panel.

7.62X25 Tokarev also penetrates a Steel pot and a K-pot.

Unknown said...

FWIW: The Russian 9x21mm Gyurza rounds appear to be just a hair too long to fit in a .38 Super magazine. Before 9x19mm Major PF loads were made legal for USPSA Open Division, some gamers loaded the 9x21mm IMI to longer than CIP specs for use in wide-body 1911 frames. The .38 Super's semi-rimmed case didn't always play nice in double-stack magazines.