Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Ultrasonic

You know what would be neat to have?  An ultrasonic cleaner.  Get into all those nooks and crannies of a gun with ease.  Sure.

Wait... $2500?!!!

Well then.  There goes that idea.  That kinda money buys a lotta q-tips and borepatches and elbow grease.

---

And speaking of gunsmithing...  Checkering in metal and wood with a specialized checkering tool.  I need to check that out.  I don't want to DO any of it, but I am having trouble picturing in my head how hand checkering works.  Seems like a pretty precise operation to do my hand without jigs and fences and what not and I am curious how they do that.

4 comments:

Laura said...

look for jewelry ultrasonic cleaners. they tend to be a lot less expensive.

Robert Fowler said...

Hand checkering is becoming a lost art. Most of it now is done by machine. I've tried hand checkering and I suck at it.

Old NFO said...

Yep, that IS a tad expensive...

Mark/GreyLocke said...

I've done hand checkering in wood. My ex father in law had a gun store up in North St. Louis County and I worked for him as an assistant. We did mostly BP guns, but did some basic work on modern stuff. To teach me checkering he had me checker blocks of scrap wood from the stocks we made. It does require a steady hand and the tools are not cheap if you want quality ones that will last.

Brownells used to sell a book that details how to checker in wood and another for metal, if you really want to know buy them if they still carry them. I can't remember the titles but our copies at the store were old, printed in the 70's.