Saturday, November 4, 2017

I like the IDEA of a Shield

But after a while I wonder, what is the point?

At least for me.

I like the idea of a single stack, thin, CCW gun.  But wait, I HAVE a bunch of 1911s...

"But the S&W is probably more reliable."  Well maybe.  Maybe more reliable than a factory 1911, but I have learned how to discern and tell the differences in 1911 function, and hell have modified all mine with a competent gunsmith.

"But the S&W is much cheaper."  Yes, but I already have spend the money on the 1911s.

"It's lighter?"  I guess, sure, yeah.  Not my highest priority, but something to consider if these guns start feeling heavy in the holster.


---

Now for the true test.

"If you were given X, for free, transferred by an FFL, with no sentimental value attached, would you sell X?"  And X is an S&W shield in .45 or 9mm.

Now that is a good question.  I'd hesitate.  And I'm not sure why.  If I lost it in a fire or a boating accident or at the airport security screen, heck, it's a shame but I am out nothing and it costs $500 to replace.  But is that enough to make me keep it...  I could apply that value to something with a bit more utility.  Like a full size M&P. 

5 comments:

Tam said...

With all the rebates and such, they're the next thing to free right now.

The difference between CCWing a full-size 1911 and a Shield/G43-size gun is night and day. Especially if you're carrying it all day.

Counter Jockey said...

I want to like the Shield, too. But, to me, it has the ergonomics of a foot ball bat. And the niche is wierd. Either I shove my LCP in my pocket or I'm wearing my Glock OWB with a jacket over it.

Projectilist said...

When you wear a 52 Long jacket, the Shield is a pocket gun

Will said...

Consider a 1911 with an aluminum frame. 5 sizes? 5", 4.25", 3.5", 3"(?)(I'm not sure if the frame is smaller than the Officers), and there might also be a 4". IIRC, the Officers is listed at 24 ozs, about 10 lighter than steel. You may notice the difference with Corbon 185gr :D

Daniel Lewis said...

While the shield was cheap I ended up spending more than the cost the gun in upgrades. I added a apex trigger group and a meprolight ft sight. I love it, the trigger was the best investment of course. I liked it so much I bought another on in 9 and did the same thing to it. Once you add the apex trigger the shield really becomes the ultimate carry gun, 7 rounds of .45 acp with not a lot of weight and a really crisp light trigger.