Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Initial Reloading Prep

Got a coupla new books, the ABC of Reloading and Lymans 48th addition. It's my starter books to get the theory of reloading down. To start to form an opinion on the topic. I'd need more than one reference along with all the accouterments to actually CONSIDER the first reload. Got the tip on this book from various reloading internet forums. The next book thing, according to general consensus, I need to get would be Lymans manual and Hornady. Maybe Speer. Hard to find, but I bet Midway has them.

And just when I think I might be up for seriously boning up on the topica and maybe making so .308 rounds, I read something like this from Clint McKee of Fulton Armoury about abject DISASTER from reloaded rifle rounds. If THAT sorta stuff doesn't increase your pucker factor by an order of magnitude I don't know what will.

Thinking on this as a starting rig. Not shabby. Lee is a good economical value, with a starter kit.

The upgrade for super-duper rifle loads
would be this. It weighs the powder AND measure it out for you. A bit pricy, but the ease and precision intrigues me. Saw it on Smallest Minority (great starter tutorial there, btw), I think. It's not for my initial reloading purchasing forays, and besides, I want to be able to reload without HAVING to have electricity. In case I get bored when a Hurricane Isabel comes to Maryland again. My freezer STILL hasn't recovered.


But if I don't reload for the the M1 or a future M1A, and ONLY perhaps reload for a bolt action rifle, restricting myself to handgun loads with the .45 and .38, perhaps I may start OUT with a progressive press. The device LOOKS more complicated, but there are factors that make it simpler. You don't need to swap out dies on a run. If you use carbide dies you don't need to lube most pistol cases. Gonna have to think on this.

What I NEED is another mentor. A good one.


But with the aforementioned equipment, I'll need:



  1. calipers to measure case length

  2. LEE ZIP TRIM with multiple case length gauges, .45 .357 .308

  3. Tumbler to clean the brass cartridges if I have fired them. This is the most expensive article beside the big kit.

  4. .45 ACP die

  5. .38/.357 die

  6. .308 die maybe (and that's it. I purposely limited my caliber selection on gun acquisition, partly for this reason.)

  7. cartridges, FMJ, primers, powder

  8. BOOK! Haven't gotten a third manual. Plus it would be nice to go over it with someone that knew what they were doing. MBtGE is lacking in this skill, so no joy there. If I beat him to it and reload before he does I'll finally be able to teach HIM something.

  9. Loading block, aka plastic bin to set the cartridges being worked on.

  10. Shotgun Shell Loader? Later maybe...

Aside from Smallest Minority blurb on his website, there is this website to check out too for another summary.

Oh and the LEE Precision website has
instructional videos. And those are fun to watch and get a sense of what is going on.

1 comment:

BobG said...

Make certain to get carbide dies; you don't have to lubricate the shells before resizing, and they are well-worth the small extra cost.