Thursday, February 25, 2010

Frozen's Remington

My buddy Frozen bought a new gun and got to shoot it this past weekend.

He got a Remington 5R. It shoots .308. He slapped a cheap buckmaster scope on it just for trying out the rifle. When he has save more shekels he’ll get a better set of optics. From what I understand, a lot of cheap optics CAN be just fine. For a little while. You buy the good stuff you notice crisper lenses, but you also get a scope that can take the abuse to shooting without rattling itself over time to inaccuracy. Not that I know that from experience, it’s just what I heard. The replacement optic will be a Leupold Mk4. Retails for as much as a rifle.

He was VERY happy with how well it shot. Minute of angle with factory ammo. Maybe .75 MOA with 175gr Sierra match kings over 44gr of Reloader-15 (thems are code words that reloaders will understand, but I only grok a little bit). And he got to shoot it out to 300yds.

Another quote from Frozen hard to grok? He’s getting his wife an AR upper built for a lefty. It ejects the brass outboard instead to cleavage-wise. He’s getting a new trigger group for it too, and he said “it’s gonna have a timney trigger… 3lb break with no take up or over-travel…”

Wow. It’s like a whole nother language at this point. I can follow it, but just barely. If he added a nonsense term it might go right past me: “it’s gonna have a timney trigger with a Helsinki smash-rod… 3lb break with no take up or over-travel…” See?

And Frozen had zero firearms when I started mentioning I was taking up shooting and hitting the gun range nearby and hey, I’ve heard good things about the Springfield XD… I feel half responsible for his surging interest. I’m so proud! He reloads. He has a metric crapload (slightly less than the Olde Tymey Imperial Shite-Tonne.) of Warsaw Pact iron. He has a few modern guns including this new bolt action tack driver. He just got a HUGE gun safe down to his basement, too. Yes, he’s gone whole hog gun nut. Good on him.

4 comments:

Boat Guy said...

presume the lefty upper will be made by Stag Arms. I bought Bride a complete Stag Model 2L which she used to good effect at Thunder Ranch. We've (Bride, myself and Older Brother) got well over 3000 rounds through this piece with NO problems t'all. HIGHLY recommend Stag products for the southpaws in your life.

Frozen said...

yep, the southpaw upper is from stag arms.

Anonymous said...

Once you reload you can never go back. Love at first load.

See Ya

Old NFO said...

Good for him! :-)