Friday, February 19, 2010

Kiddies

Talk of CounterStrike kiddies by Caleb and Tam. There is lots of reminiscing in the comments. People remembering when they were young and stupid and yet knew everything. High School, ahhhh. What a great time to be alive.

I was just as stupid as everyone else (probably moreso) but I lucked out on my gun preconceptions. Oh yes, I called magazine ‘clips’ (still slip on that occasionally) and I thought the Mac-10 was better than the Uzi because one of my friends said the Mac had a faster rate of fire, and both were better than that stoopid M-16. Mainly because 9mm was bigger than 5.sumthin (I could never remember the .56 part) millimeter.

But my BIGGEST pre-conception was that the .357 revolver with a 4”-6” barrel was a pretty decent handgun to shoot a bad guy with if it came to that. Now I’ve learned a lot more about firearms, and used a lot of firearms and I have figured out that… the .357 revolver with a 4”-6” is still a pretty decent handgun to shoot a bad guy with if it came to that.

I owned that preconception because I was lucky. Not because I was wise.

I wonder where I picked that up? I couldn’t have come up with it on my own. Perhaps it was from one of the 3 Soldier Of Fortune magazines I bought at High's Dairy convenience store during the years of high school.

What else so I remember from SOF? That snipers can be a force multiplier, so it is better to have some that to have none. And that bounty hunting is a good job and you get to carry a gun. I’m sure there was other stuff in those 3 magazines. Like mercenaries in Africa, but that was more than 20 years ago for me to dredge up the memory. The memory appropriate to THIS post was a review of a stainless steel Colt Python. Yup. That could leave an important impression. Am I remembering this right? Was a stainless Python kinda new in the mid 1980s?

No comments: