Saturday, February 27, 2010

It's What's For Dinner.

I'm afraid Farmer Franks diatribe against vegan myths made me kinda hungry. I thought some organically grown bean stalks, bok choi, some free range tomatoes and some soy milk to wash it down would be good.

Are you kidding? That's the stuff food eats! And it's been ages since I had a New York Strip outside a camping trip or restaurant.

So I did this:




I'm not really set up here to do propane grilling. So this method is a godsend. But how good could it be.

Oh! It is SO worth it. Do it. Delicious. Meat. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Beef! It's what's for dinner!

I modified mine a little bit. The tiniest hint of chorizo pepper and garlic powder with the kosher salt and pepper. I put a pat of butter on the top of the steak as it went in the oven too. Next time, I think I can get away with a little less peanut oil in the sear stage. I set it in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes and it came out on a perfect medium rare, leaning toward rare. And I guessed at that. I don't need no steenking thermometer. And I didn't cut it to lose those precious juices through the rest stages. Yeah, I lucked out. But it's SO easy-peasy.

I'm thinking deglazing the pan to make a sauce next time... Or go for something like a blue cheese sauce. Not that this cut of meat needed anything. Look at me! I'm drooling again just thinking about it.

Gun content? I'm wondering if I can do something like this with venison tenderloin...

Or maybe something simpler next time, but still get my daily recommended supply of vitamin beef.

~~~~~~~~~~

And while we are on the subject of cooking, here is master chef Anthony Bourdain:

8 comments:

Borepatch said...

I love "Good Eats"

commoncents said...

Thank you for posting this! I love your blog!!
Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

ps. Link Exchange/??

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I just put up the "I may delete your comment blurb" yesterday and today I get the spam comment above.

Common Cents is a conservative clip assembly with precious little original content. I am somewhat conservative and somewhat sympathetic.

But I have the feeling the comment is just a drive by, and they haven't read my blog and are just hoping for link traffic from mine (Heh! Good luck. If all my readers linked over there they'd have... 2 more readers. Maybe 3.)

Link Exchange? But I looked at your links and you haven't put me on there? So no. Also, there are no other gun blogs on their link list jumping out at me. So, also, no. No offense meant, naturally. Their are ads, and I assume linking from my ad-less site helps their bottom line. It just doesn't seem like good policy to link to site with ads that I personally have no real interest in and doesn't pertain to my subject matter.

Again, no offense meant. And this wasn't that 'ridicule' thing I warned about. I reserve ridicule for sputtering hippies, of which Common Cents is not.

I still may delete that (and this) comment.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

PS I made this steak last Tuesday. I bought another steak yesterday... To try again to get my procedure down pat.

Tam said...

I didn't even go see what "commoncents" was; I just deleted it out of hand.

Shame, really; if they'd taken three seconds to hand-type something rather than doing generic cut-'n'-paste spam, I might have thrown them a link in a post, but then I'm small fry, and so a link from me wouldn't be worth the effort.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Steak Sunday came out Medium Well.

Medium Rare at 400 for 10 minutes, Medium Well at 500 for 10 minutes.

Shooting for Medium... Guess what temp I will try next time?

Tam said...

I want rare. Any suggestions?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

6 minutes, 400 degrees.

Not rare enough?

2 minutes.


Not rare enough? This guy doesn't even put it in the oven. JUST seared. I bet that get's it for ya, Tam. Bloody.