Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snow and Rock Salt

Well, you were right. Using rock salt 12 gauge was NOT the way to go. If your goal was to clear snow, at least. If your goal was to scare the hell out of your neighbors, well then it worked a treat. Good thing the snow kept patrol cars away or I'd be blogging from gaol. Today is Tuesday, I'm finally dug out, and the cops ain't sniffing around so I guess I am home free.

This is the worst winter I remember. And was here for those storms in the late 70s, early 80s. I blame Jimmy Carter, still for those storms. Everything Carter touches is corrupted. He's like walking botulism. History's Greatest Monster, indeed.

And this is Washington where whenever there is a big snow people talk about the Knickerbocker Theater. As though there is anyone around to remember it, but everyone remember older relatives handing the story down. It becomes particularly important a story when building start collapsing...

During the interminable digging out process I saw a downy headed woodpecker, and a hawk flew right over head. I could have hit it with a snowball. I didn't want to, as that raptor had enough on his plate, dealing with a murder of crows that were harassing it.

Day two, Sunday, I went to check on my crotchety old WWII veteran neighbor. Just as I got to his house ANOTHER neighbor was getting there with a snow blower. It seems the old bastard had given this OTHER neighbor some tomatoes from his garden last summer. Favor remembered, favor returned. And it saved my back digging him and his car out. Not that he can go anywhere.

I only fell on my ass that one time.

2 comments:

Turk Turon said...

Worst winter since I moved here in 1979.

It's like the winters I spent in college in upstate New York.

Billll said...

I knew there was a reason why they ban guns when the snow gets deep enough to be an emergency.

Now I understand what it is.