Saturday, April 30, 2011

Ruger Scout

So, I've lusted after the Scout Rifle that Cooper promulgated.  I need a bolt action rifle.  And Ruger came up with a version, reviewed in American Rifleman.

I learn through the magazine that they considered M14 magazines, but rejected them for various reasons related to feeding.  Point against them.  To sell me a rifle they should have tried harder to get that feature working.  I would have found that nigh irresistable.

One other great big lack... No mention is made about Lefty versions.  Sorry Ruger.  My gun budget money stays in my wallet.

UPDATE:
And now I've held it in my hands at the NRA Convention.  Found out the why's for no M14 mags.  The variation between them and between manufacturers is too great and plays heck with the bolt action for some reason.  But there is a Lefty version planed.

3 comments:

Daniel E. Watters said...

If I remember correctly, Robbie Barrkman (Robar) once explained that in his bolt action rifle conversions for M14 magazines, he had to swap out lighter magazine springs. The Mil-Spec springs resulted in too much drag on the bolt when the magazine was fully loaded.

Steve said...

I have shot it. It is a really nice gun.

I was planning on buying it ... but now Mossberg has come out with their .223 with AR-15 magazines and now I am conflicted!

lordjim said...

FYI the lefty version is here according to Ruger's website

http://ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/specSheets/6814.html