Sunday, August 16, 2020

Greyhound

I saw this movie on my week off.  I was kinda disappointed.  I was hoping for Saving Private Ryan, but as The Good Shepherd, the book it is based on.  But when I come to think about it, that would be incredibly hard to translate to the big screen.  As a big part of C. S. Forester's book is silent inside narrative in the Captain's head, and the movie only has the 2 hours or so to tell this story.  If faithfully executed, matching the book, well, that might not make the best action cinema anyway.

I am hampered by my preconceptions, as I have read the book.  More than once.  Having been a naval officer, one often gravitates to C. S. Forester stuff, at least eventually.  Someone going in cold might enjoy it without the quibbles I bring.

So, these limitations aside?  It is still pretty good as a movie.  Worth seeing, in my book, but no tour de force.

The Enemy Below and Das Boot are better U-Boat vs. Destroyer movies.  Balance of Terror, too.

The CGI quality is mixed, sometimes very good, but not always.  I wonder if they used a Fletcher class for part of the sets.

I did like how he elevated the mess mate that must have been in the book into a more major character.  That was actually a good touch. 

The trailer is more exciting than the movie.



If you have Apple Plus tv channel, or whatever, see it.  Don't get Apply plus just for this. 

1 comment:

RGRANT said...

I heard somewhere that the U.S.S KIDD in Baton Rouge was used for some of the production.