Saturday, December 5, 2020

Old Eyes

Saw this article on the internet.

"Pistol sights for old eyes"

When I first started out, I liked the 3-dot sights, but my preferences evolved as I learned more and trained more.  I tried out many pistol sights over time.  But am pretty much settled on plain black rear sight with no dots or lines.  And a pretty side aperture so I can see 'light' between the notch and the post of the front sight.  And then the front sight has something.  It's not just black, there is a dot of some kind on up there.  

"Three dot sights are probable not the best pistol sights for old eyes." Yeah, I've come to the opinions they aren't the best for any eyes.

And it turns out, as my vision deteriorates as I age, (and it is...) that is a decent setup.  But hell, I'd go for that with my 30 year old 20/15 vision.  

I've always liked the idea of tritium sights for low light shooting, but if the light is low enough to need glowing sights it's too low for target ID.  'Liked,' past tense. Yes, tho, my bedside gun has a glowing front sight.  Anyone in the house besides me in the dark is a legit target.  No way my rear sights of the bedside gun are becoming part of it in low light.  They don't glow.  But my other easily accessible firearms available have flashlights on them.  A light bright enough to make the room light enough to use regular fiber optic sights.  That is probably your best bet.  That and knowledge of your home turf in the dark.

My eyes, personally, are still pretty good. I can drive ok without glasses, I just don't prefer to. I have to get too close to street signs to read them.  So, shooting without glasses is also not a problem for self-defense ranges.  I don't keep my glasses in my bedroom.  I don't normally need them when to home.  Just for TV to look good.   

"How about a red dot on your pistols, T-Bolt"

Meh...  That would require serious smithing.  None of mine are ready for a mount.  And then it would require a buncha training with the sights, and then practice to get good.  I'm not agin the idea, but it would take some doing.  But Tam believes in me!  She thinks I can do it!  And if she is for me, who can be against me?

"Training?"

Oh yeah, I still make those muzzle circles like a noob.  But I've also seen noob later get the knack, and red dot like a house afire.

"Ya know, T-Bolt, you can just BUY a pistol with the optic dovetail already cut on the slide..."

Quiet you!  That's enough of your sass.

4 comments:

Jonathan H said...

I've used red dot sights on pistols; I'm not a fan. More complexity, more cost, more to fail... I prefer to keep it simple.

Lantry said...

Night Fision makes tritium sights with the vial surrounded by a relatively large colored ring. I have found that the ones with the orange ring stand out very well. Not only can I see the front sight again. I can also see the space between the front sight and the inside of my rear sight when I aim.

Tam said...

"I've always liked the idea of tritium sights for low light shooting, but if the light is low enough to need glowing sights it's too low for target ID."

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

https://pistol-training.com/archives/7668

Also, your house is not a free-fire zone.

Will said...

Tam's reference page is spot on. I did a night class back in the 00's, using a Glock with a 3 dot setup and a Surefire P-6 type flashlite. One night we had lights on poles, which seemed similar to parking lot lighting, no moon, and the next night with no lighting or moon. Those tritium dots were much appreciated. Even with a handheld light, I was still using those 3 dots to aim with. Those without tritium dots were bitching about the lack of aiming ability, which changed as the lighting varied. Frankly, the 3 dots were more useful than the handheld light was.

I looked at several different color sights, and tried mixing and matching the front and rear colors, and ended up with all green, with the front one larger than the two rear dots.
Having the front a different color seemed to be distracting, rather than being useful. That may not be the case for everyone, but I would still take a look at it. I was looking at the sights in a covered box to simulate a dark room. I would recommend the rear sight also have the dots. Personally, I have never had a problem telling which dot was the front, but it being larger may be the key for me.
I didn't like the single rear dot/bar setup, but haven't actually tried shooting with it, or even spent time playing with a real gun with it to try getting acclimated to it.