Monday, January 14, 2008

Delayed Gratification

There are too many guns I "NEED" right NOW. I hate delayed gratification.

Lessee.

I HAVE to get that .45 ACP, 1911. That's a MUST. And soonish. The original plan is use the tax refund check to cover that. Ok. Fine. That's all reasonable.

But then Remington bought Marlin. This highlights my desire for a Marlin 1894 C lever-action that is chambered in the same caliber as my Smith and Wesson model 686 revolver. What will Remington do with the product line at Marlin? Maybe I need to pick one up before the supply is squeezed and price goes up. It doesn't help that Kim Du Toit mentioned the 1894, and reviewed it in glowing terms, recently. Heck he is a big reason I want it! But I don't need him boosting OTHER people's demand until after I have one. (Maybe demand won't go up. He called it a 'ladies' rifle. That'll make HALF the population that also reads his blog think twice about it. Or maybe I'm the only one that noticed and is shopping...)

And speaking or Marlin, and a .45, and my 'Common-Ammo Carbine Philosophy', AND the law of supply and demand. I still want that Marlin Camp Carbine. They haven't made one in a half dozen years or more, so it's only going to get rarer and rarer. and pricier and pricier. Another push for now now now.
And what of presidential politics? Most everyone running would sign a renewed 'Assault Weapons' Ban. Certainly everyone on the D side, and more than half the frontrunners on the R side. Why they say that, I have no idea. They don't get any extra votes that way, holding that position, and probably lose more than they'd hope to gain. Calling for increased gun control has been a losing proposition for 8 years. But that is their position. The problem is, a renewed law like that might view the venerable M1A, a FINE Sport Utility Rifle in a decent, unashamed caliber, as some sort of Assault Rifle. Can you imagine? So the presidential election might drive up demand, and hence prices, of another expensive rifle on my list. More so if a Hillary wins than if a more wishy-washy-on-the-issue Mitt wins. (If Fred wins I'd half expect to be ISSUED a decent rifle at taxpayer expense.)

Lately a .22 revolver has made me kind of interested. And you never know when the right double barrel shotgun deal will show up. But those, by definition, are on my "inexpensive list" and can wait. Still want em though. And you heard me chat about the SKS. And if I get that, might as well go for the .223 firing Mini-14. And what if that Winchester 88 shows up at the next gun show? Aaaaaaaahhh! That's the whole list right there, just about!

Well I don't HAVE the kind of money for four or five or even NINE boom-sticks in one year! Nor do I want the credit card debt that that would entail. And say I did go crazy, where am I gonna find the money to shoot them? Ammo ain't cheap, as you all know (all both of you). And ranges cost money to either get to or belong to.

Why can't I find a Crown Royal bag full of hundred dollar bills in the gutters around Adams Morgan? Just a few thousand. All I'd need. No illicit drugs in the velveteen bad, please. I have no use for that.
But enough of that fantasy. Money isn't going to fall out of the sky and into my lap. And I can't just make my gunstore owner super happy in one fell swoop with the power of plastic, as much as I want to. Only one thing left to do. Stamp my feet and whine, "but I WANT it!" over and over. Good thing my social life has taken a down turn lately. I'd probably be too annoying to keep friends at this point in time.


So, after a few deep breaths. And allowing reasonable thoughts to prevail. Ok. The 1911 is on the list. Maybe ONE more in 2008. Maybe. That .45 will come AFTER the next gunshow, so the Model 88 might follow me home from there. But if it doesn't, what should be the second gun of 2008? If I should even bother to GET a second. What say you? (both of you.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, but in my case it's exacerbated by my location. If I didn't live in NYF-ingC, a 1911 would be my next purchase. I can still possess a rifle here (though it has to be registered) and I'm pretty sure the 1894 would be necessary to balance my current long gun battery.

Hey, at least you have the CHOICE, if not the funds. The important thing right now is not the hardware, but making sure we put the right guy on Pennsylvania Ave (and this year the right guy IS a guy, whether it's Fred or, well, Fred. Sure as hell Mayor 9/11 ain't gonna stand up to the gun grabbers.)

Signed,
One of Them

Jay G said...

Get the .22 revolver. With ammo prices skyrocketing, it helps to have a gun that you can shoot and NOT see $$$ coming out of the barrel...

Anonymous said...

I don't count in the "both of you," do I?

You should get the one you are most likely to hit a deer with.