Thursday, January 3, 2008

Springfield model PX9109LP

The model of .45 I've settled upon, the Springfield PX9109LP had concerned me.

My readers (both of them) already know I am a worry-wart. And I worry about minor details that may be an issue with proper function, but probably are not. It's like, if given the choice of living on 2 different planet Earths. One has regular sharks, the other has sharks with rubber teeth that never bite people. I'd worry and want to live on the rubber teeth world. Well that's silly isn't it? Even if I swam in the ocean a lot (and I don't) my chances of getting chomped on are minimal. Relax.

My worry with my 1911 .45 selection is, "Full Length guide-rods jam a bit more than regular, the way Browning intended, guide-rods." Or so I've read. Reports from owners of such guide rods are... no noticed issues. So. Relax.

In looking around at various disassembly/reassembly instructions in anticipation of aquiring a 1911, and in drooling over a similar model, there IS a interesting feature on the Springfield model PX9109LP. You need an allen wrench or some other tool take down and field strip the gun and get the bushing off the muzzle. Oh NOES!!! A special tool! What if I am 4 weeks into a zombie outbreak and need to field strip my .45 in 10 seconds? And how will I clean it! PANIC! Or not. You can still clean the barrel and kill more zombies without taking the gun apart. You can improvise the tool if you HAD to. It's not that big a deal. Relax.

What you bet there is an aftermarker source of those allen wrench guide rod plug ends that use a flat head screwdriver or some other alternative?

What you bet I can just swap out he full length guide rod with a regular guide rod faster than I can type this sentence?

SO I'll just sit here, relaxing.

Heh, and those disassembly videos on YouTube and such are nifty! If Mil-Spec versions came with tritium sights I think I'd have enough confidence to add a ambidextrous safety to a gun myself. It didn't look like there would be much fitting and fettling, just a drop in and a grip swap. But that circumstance is moot with a future purchase of a Springfield PX9109LP.








No comments: