Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Gratification Two

I've calmed a bit.

As much as I want a Camp Carbine Model .45, there are disadvantages to it. The stock cracks. No big deal, I'd probably get after-market as soon as I bought the rifle.

But a tertiary internet search for .45 Carbine and you find a HUGE demand for some company to make one, and one that takes the 1911 magazines. It's sort of understandable, since the 1911 .45's re-emergence in the Cool-Kids Club in the last 20 years or so. (Correct me if I am wrong old timers) There are a LOT more .45 owners out there. It makes sense they'd want commonality of magazines in another rifle. Well, SOME of them.

So I could just stand pat and wait a year or 2. Hope Ruger or Remington/Marlin come out with something. You never know. Especially Ruger. Except for the latest foray into AR style rifles, they have always been plain-jane practical pieces. Not HAVING to just make something cool looking, letting the after-market industry take care of that for them. And previous .45 carbines are NOT cool looking.

But if they DID make something kinda cool looking, and cheaper that say, that new Kriss .45, they might capture the Kriss buzz with an economically priced alternaties, for the stingier Mall Ninjas on a fixed income (Mom's allowance). And me.

And Jay G thinks I shouldn't bother with something that shoots expensive .45s, and I should just get a .22 relvolver and be happy. He has a point, but MY point is, the availability of a .22 revolver is never in question. Winchester gone(ish) and now Marlin gone(ish) means no more 1894C's getting made (maybe) and the Camp is already not made anymore. So desire coupled with RARITY is my problem, acting like I'm hopped on goofballs, ready to do a manic consumer debt inducing FRANTIC buying spree...

But if I did that, my reputation of relaxed Zen-like with a Poop-Happens attitude would be put in question. Don't want any(both) of youse to get the wrong impression and think me high-strung.

And Money isn't the problem it was months ago. Oh it would be if I bought 9 boomsticks at once, but.

So, I'm going 1911 first, 1894 soon after (by April 15), and hang tough on the .45 carbine a bit. Maybe a year from today on the Camp Carbine. An SKS or that .22 revolver late next fall.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want a carbine with 1911 magazines and reliability then try this:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2007/09/25/convert-a-glock-or-1911-pistol-into-a-carbine/

GunGeek said...

While I can certainly understand your desire for a 45 carbine, I'd like to point out and/or remind you of the Kel-Tec Sub2000. You can get a Sub2K in 9mm or 40 that take any of a variety of magazines. Mine's a 40 and takes Glock mags.

And it folds in half for easy transportation. I keep mine in a real cheap canvas tool bag. Nobody would guess there's a Glock 27, a Kel-Tec Sub2K, a bunch of loaded magazines and spare ammunition in there.

As to the 1894.... the latest issue of Predator Extreme magazine says that it's official that Winchester will be making them again, but not to expect any until next year some time. I haven't seen this anywhere else, but I do know the big issue when they shut down was the union. Due to their union contract, the company could not make them anywhere but the New Haven plant until something like late last year.

They're already making the Model 70 again at the FN plant. I'm guessing that a Browning plant in UT will make the 94's. They are already using the plant to make parts for warranty repairs and for sale.

I had just purchased a Win94 in 44Mag right before they quit making them. Sold it for several hundred more than I paid for it, on the assumption that either they would start making them again or someone else would buy the license and start doing it and I could replace it.

The Kel-Tecs:

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com

Jay G said...

"MY point is, the availability of a .22 revolver is never in question."

Now that's true, of course, but it begs the question: Are you buying guns to shoot, or collect?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

You see why I am buying guns. The goals are listed there on the right hand side of the blog.

But do have a .22 rifle. And a .22 conversion kit for a 1911. The revolver is icing on the .22 cake. Delicious, sweet, icing...

In fact, I have a shooting weekend planned at the rifle range. Will shoot borrowed rifles, my Grand, and my .22. Gotta test out the 10 round mags for the Mossberg 144 I got at the last gun show.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I've looked at the Kel Tecs, but they don't meet a requirement of a 1911 .45 magazine.