Thursday, February 28, 2008

.17 Caliber MADNESS

Corky and Chuckles bought .45s last week. Springfield XDs, after extensive test runs with various models at a rental range. Good for them.

But I've created monsters. NOW they went out and Chuckles bought a bolt action .17 rifle from Marlin with a thumbhole stock and a fluted bull barrel. This, of course, got Corky all covetous. And this is UhMERica. When we covet something here, instead of taking what we covet, we just go out and earn money to buy one of your own. So Corky got one, too, yesterday with a handsome fiberglass fabric covered stock that looks like carbon fiber. Talking about it got yet ANOTHER guy in the office pricing .17s. I bet he forks over the dough for it within the week. Chuckles' brother also had to have one.






It's like an infection. Instead of catching the flu they caught .17 caliber-itis. Madness!

I tried to sway them toward .22, because of ammo cost differential. They didn't listen. In their minds, they have plenty of time to secure and play with a .22, but a .17 sounds like too much fun NOW!

I've heard good things about .17 caliber rifles. Things like "very accurate, even for a beginner," and "and absolute JOY to shoot," so I figure they didn't do too bad. And the .17 is on my tertiary list for the same reasons.

They are all getting various models of the Marlin bolt action, and they seem a good value.



But they need to be talked down off the ledge. Put the credit card on the deck, and walk away from it.

3 comments:

The Customer said...

Why all the hater-aid? You know you want one too. Oh, I didn't totally not listen to what you said, a .22 is next. See I have a system, yeah that's right, a system. I am going to, ummm, go ummm, with the smallest caliber and work my way up. Yeah that its it. So next will be the .22 then will be the .223, then will stop with the .308. If I get zombiedefense.org to confirm the existence of my greatest fear, zombie elephants, then I will get the Barrett .50 cal.

Anonymous said...

Thank you to all of them for doing their part to boost the economy. Keep taking that disposable income and spend, spend, spend!!!

The Customer said...

I do what I can. Hell, Rifles and Ammo right now are out performing my IRA's and 401k.