Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ammo Inventory

I've been buying a box at a time to get the stock up. There is starting to be full ammo cans. There is enough, now, that maybe I shouldn't be discussing specifics. Especially with legislation like THIS coming up at the State House. Apparently, some company came up with a patent on serializing ammo, and to profit from that patent they had to start a lobbying group to push it. The money spent on lobbiest will be more than made up from the profits when government reglation forces the consumer to 'buy' their product. Any percentage of $20 Billion annually has to be pretty good.

Suffice to say, I feel a little more comfortable with my current stocks. But uncomfortable with the idea that the State would have me dispose of my inventory by a certain date.

The ostensible reason for this legislation is for crime solving. Maryland already has a spent case from every pistol sold and with this forensic ballistic data they have solved exactly zero crimes. The fired cases sit at the Maryland State Police headquarters in Jessup and are ignored. But it does make new pistols more expensive.

I don't know how criminals will get around this new ammo serialization law, though. Unless they trade ammo amoungst themselves. Or steal it. Or buy ammo out of state. Or off a black market import that piggybacks on drug trade.

So if it doesn't impact criminals, and thus defies it's own stated purpose, then what is the regulations true purpose? A burden on the law abiding, making them less likely to want to even HAVE a firearm for self defense, or for target shooting, or for some hunting? Hmmmm, maybe.

I did write my representative on the Judiciary Committee. He did send a nice letter back, saying he intends to reserve judgement and he values my input. Good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, that's not good. It means your representative does not see the obvious lunacy and uselessness of this proposal, and is willing to consider passing it. Any answer other than, "Hell, no, this is silly!" is unacceptable.

The Customer said...

"I did write my representative on the Judiciary Committee. He did send a nice letter back, saying he intends to reserve judgment and he values my input."

Translated trough my BSdecipher9000 is "I have to reply back because you are in my district and maybe you will be stupid enough to vote for me. I plan on doing what I want which is ban all guns. Seeing I can not do that I will make the ammo increasingly difficult to find or expensive."

The Customer said...

Maryland HB 517 is officially dead, it was killed unanimously by the Judiciary committee 2-29-08