Saturday, February 2, 2008

different buddies, different range...

I've talke about 2 work buddies. Been working them. They realize that they need guns.

These are old buddies. Corky and Chuckles. Their interest has peaked. Both are ex army. Both know a bit about shooting want to shoot more.

Chuckles is the one that wants a .17, but he also needs a handgun. Corky does too. And they both went to a close-by range together to try out the rental guns.

Here is Chuckles report:

We went to On Target today. Good times and I learned a lot.

9mm Berretta 92 (mine, the one I already own) – Too early to tell, couldn’t get two rounds to fire consecutively without a jam. I guess next time I’ll have to REMEMBER to OIL it. It’s amazing how much you forget after not handling a firearm for a while but I can tell it will all come back very quickly – kind of like riding a bike I guess. The 9 is still a possibility for me, I like the operating costs better and the recoil is nicer but that is not a major factor.

.40 S&W M&P – Didn’t like the caliber or the gun. Too much damn recoil in a snappy, stingy kinda way – just not pleasant. Not to impressed with S&W either. I realize this particular example has probably been handled more then a 2 dollar prostiture, but damn. Jiggly and loose and I just felt dirty afterwards. For Corky the mag seemed to fall out after every other round. A few feeding problems too. Once or twice I had to cock it more then once but this was a mag loading issue not a gun feeding problem. Surprisingly though it proved to be the most accurate setup of the day for me, the result being pretty much one big hole where the red dot used to be at 25 yds.

.45 Springfield XP45 – Very nice! Recoil was strong but not unpleasant like the 40. Loved the mag capacity! This one is on my short list. I did learn from this gun that I like an external hammer because I missed it while shooting this one. The same was true of the .40 but for some reason not to the same degree. Not a big deal as I know I would get used to this setup pretty quickly. However, all other things being equal I prefer seeing the hammer because you know what condition the gun is in without even thinking about it.

.45 Kimber 1911 Compact – Also very nice although it probably had the worst sights of the group and the 7 shot mag was a major suck point – both items easily correctable. I have a feeling though that there are other examples that equal or exceed the Kimber for less $. The trigger was awesome and the recoil was very controlled, this was a fun gun to shoot but I don’t think I like the SAO as much as the DA/SA types. Still, much respect for the 1911. I can see why so many people like it.

So, I’ve ruled out a .40 which might be a mistake based on just one test but there is a lot to like about the .45 and the 9 so it’s just not worth spending too much time pondering the .40. I’m leaning toward a .45 but the 9 is still in the running. It will take a few more trips to know for sure. I also must shoot the Sig as this is the one that appeals to me most on paper. I need to see it that impression holds true after actually shooting it. As I’ve said before, I’m sure most hardware out there is better then I am. I certainly need to add some upper body strength to my weakling self as it defiantly got harder to maintain a steady hold as time went on. I think a nice 22 revolver might also be something to think about. It would be A LOT cheaper to shoot and probably more pleasant to load lots of rounds through during a range visit vice feeding magazines.

All in all, a lot of fun and I can’t wait to go back.


And here is Corky's report:

9mm- Chuckles better get it oiled and cleaned before shooting it again unless you want to throw the gun at the target to put holes in it.

.40 S&W- YUCK!!!!! Stupid handle was too small for my hand, poor button placement, and the slide was all kind of sloppy. Poor placement of the mag eject button. 2 thumbs down ( and a magazine! Damn thing dropped out).

.45 Springfield XD45- My front runner as of now. I like the fact it can fit 13 (14 my ass unless you have He-man Thumb). Would like to shoot it again this time using my dominate eye instead of my left. No wonder everything was pulling right.

Kimber – Short mag capacity turned me off to that gun. I loved the trigger on that. Very predictable and it broke well had a lighter pull too.

So, I would like to shoot a nice full sized 1911 and the XD again. I still also would like to shoot a glock 21 and the P220 before calling the race. I am also unsure of going 9mm or .45 but I think I am kind of digging the .45. Once you get your berretta worked out, definitely would like to give it another chance.

But, when we go again, I would say definitely police your brass just incase we decide to reload.



So they BOTH think they need more than 7 bullets to get the job done. I guess they plan to get into a lot of trouble or intend to miss a lot. I think Chuckles prefers the workings of a SA/DA crunchenticker. Corky had a more combat-oriented Army career and I am confident he will pick a good un. He strike me as SA, and maybe miltary issue but, no Beretta. His story is, his unit was one of the first to be issue M-4 carbines in the 90's and the first gen models were horrible. Rattled. Too delicate. Shoddy assembly. They were NOT happy with rifle.

I am infuencing them to lean 1911 on pistol selection, but I also stress that if they are comfortable with a Glock, get a Glock, comfy with a 1911 get a 1911, good with an XD, get it. Whichever works for THEM, personally, in model and caliber and to ignore the fan-boys. And they should ignore me if they like something else.

Sound like they had a good time at the range. I gave them old copies of Cheaperthandirt catalogs and NRA magazines. Yup, they are well on their way, but were naturally inclined already.

Now if I get my ex-wife shooting for recreation and paying dues to the NRA, THAT would be something. But you know, she'd love to eat venison... and wouldn't mind killing to get venison... (deer, not people with a full freezer, of COURSE!)

4 comments:

The Customer said...

I realize that a well placed shot is worth more than a truck full of ammo. All I am saying is one can never have enough ammo in ones possession or ones gun especially against multiple targets. Thats why you drill fast mag changes and speed shooting. You need to remember the U.S military doctrine is one of overwhelming force.

As far as my choice of a handgun, unlike chuckles, I am not sold on the perception of German engineering (nor the price tag that comes with said perception), I am trying to base my choice on ergonomics of the firearm. Take for instance the S&W .40 M&P, my regular grip, the middle finger kept hitting the magazine release and the slide was looser than French prostitute that knows the meaning of "Pay Day". I will know when I find it what ever it might be. But someone told me once {cough}Jovian{cough}that evidently H&K thinks I suck and they hate me. So i guess they are out.

Jay G said...

I had the EXACT same problem with the M&P compact .40 S&W when I went to the S&W range in Springfield - after every third or fourth round, the magazine fell out.

Didn't matter how I held the gun, the mag fell out.

Put me off the M&P RIGHT quick. And with the deal going ($429 NEW after $50 rebate *AND* two EXTRA magazines FREE), that's saying a lot...

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Yes, the miltary's doctrine of overwhelming force is true and valid. But what Corky's doctrine? Corky can't declare war. Corky doesn't have a division, platoon, or even a fire team to back him up while he sprays and prays with the suppressing fire. Having lots of ammo if good for the military and good for Corky, but Corky is in trouble if he doesn't make the shots count if the poop hits the AC.

The Customer said...

I never said one shot, one kill is the devil, see my first sentence. The point I am saying is what the Boy Scouts of America motto is, "Be Prepared". I have never heard of anyone saying "You know, I wish we had less rounds in our guns."

But and update, went up to Continental Arms in Timonium and Shot the Sig Sauer P220 on Saturday (took the wife) and must say that there is not a $500 difference between the P220 and the Smithfield Armory XD 45 to justify the Sig purchase. Also took the time to shoot the Sig Sauer Mosquito as a warm up and to get my wife accustom to shooting a pistol. The Mosquito is junk. Out of 100 rnds, had about 4 miss feeds.

But the wife was a trooper, she liked the .22 and was scared of the .45. After finished the first mag of the .45 she comes up while I am loading the second mag and said "I got next". She shot it like a pro and never complained of the recoil. Up next, .44 mag {he he he he}