Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Gunblog Rifle Match


Snowflakes in Hell is starting a gunblogger postal rifle competitionI signed up.

I don't know if I can participate, with the lack of anything but bench-sets on rifle ranges nearby, but I will certainly follow along closely. If I only shoot the targets in my mind then I score a perfect 400 every time.

The way it works, apparently, is: You buy standard targets, Shoot 40 rounds at 100 yards, in 10 minute or 60 second second sessions, standing, sitting, prone, etc. The honor system keeps you from cheating. If you can't trust someone with a gun, who can you trust? If I actually shoot the targets, not just in my mind then I bet I score a less than perfect 122, most every time. If I'm lucky.

Anyone know of a place I can shoot 100 yards and do all the positions? Has to be near Silver Spring, MD. I'd be happy to come in dead last if I can just participate properly.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Assuming Mapquest isn't lying to me, it looks like Silver Spring is a northern suburb of DC. Is that right?

If so, it looks like you've got an Isaak Walton League that may fit the bill in Damascus...about 30 miles North of Silver Spring:

http://www.damascusiwla.org/

membership is $130/year with a $60 initiation fee. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

There's an IWL in Rockville too, and it's a bit less expensive, but it looks like you have to shoot from a shed out of an opening in the wall...probably for sound abatement. I wouldn't like shooting that way.

There are lots of places to shoot in Northern Virginia and there may be others around you. Here's the NRA's listing of Maryland ranges:

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=MD