Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Safety Tip

Safety Tip from a pilot instructor to a student pilot on 2-seater, high-performance, ejection capable, trainer aircraft.

"Now there are 2 emergency ways to get out of an airplane. One is to Egress, one is to Eject. Both 'E' words that can sound alike in a stressful situation like, say, an EMERGENCY. Egress is to jump out and run away. Eject is much more immediate and you know what that is. In order to know which one to do without getting yerself killt, I want you to follow my instructions carefully. If I want you to Egress you'll know because I will yell 'EGRESS!!!' over my shoulder as I am running away from the aircraft. You'll know when I want you to Eject because you will hear a Bang and a loud whooshing sound behind you, and I'll be gone."

Good advice.

4 comments:

aepilot_jim said...

I used to get real tired of all my friends using the same old joke and asking me where there parachute was when I took them flying. I finally just took to responding, "you don't get one. But your seat is a flotation device."

If you can't beat 'em, confuse 'em.

Home on the Range said...

I used to have a spare stick for the Cub. If a non pilot was "back seat driving" I'd take it and toss it in the back and go "fine! YOU drive"

Unknown said...

The line I got from the instructor was, "If we run into any problems and have to eject, you'll hear me say 'Eject! Eject! Eject!'. That third 'Eject!' will be an echo, because I'm out of here after the second!"

The Customer said...

Just make sure the canopy clears before you tell Goose to eject.