Friday, April 3, 2009

Advertise

Google Blogger is making it easier to put ads up on my blog. There is now a tab to "Monetize" this puppy!

Not something I want to do. Not at the low pageview numbers I have. If I was getting 2000 hits a day I might consider it. Might. But I like to keep my anonymity, and if I did this for money I’d feel I’d have to attach a name beside “Bolt” to all this. And that'd be more work. And I’d have to be more careful confirming all those facts stuff and properly crediting images garnered online. Now, I could be sued and the guy could have 100% of my blog earnings, readily. 100% of zero is… zero. I’ll cut you a check right away.

Not that I'm not conscientuous on what I post now. I try to keep the integrity level up. When I find I've been led down a primrose path to some made up propaganda I cop to it, and correct the record. But if you are official you never want to HAVE to do it. Getting paid, to me, makes it too official and this would become less fun. I'm not saying that other blogger are somehow 'less' if have a different standard. That's just how I feel now for my own standard.

But if I did sell ads I WOULD shill. Unlike other, less whorish, bloggers. But only on stuff I like. Glock could pay me thousands in ad money to proffer up on my blog banner some new model AR they’d develop AND send me a free gun. I’d keep the gun, but probably wouldn’t rave about it. Just because they’d pay me wouldn’t mean I’d like plastic better, or .223. (Not that there is anything wrong with liking that stuff. OR not liking it.) If it was decent I’d blog that it was decent. I wouldn’t pretend it was the best thing EVAH. Unless I thought it really was. Springfield could pay me $5 to advertise a new, high quality, forged, production M1A receiver and I’d praise THAT to the heavens. They could CHARGE me $5 and I’d shill it. I’d shill good and hard. I’d shill it harder than a 30 minute “Sham-WHOA!” infomercial. I’d shill it harder than an automaker begging for gov’t money and a 30 day reprieve. I'd beat the bushes for increased sponsor sales as if those bushes were rented mules. Rented from a mule-renting company I didn't like. AFTER I paid the renter insurance.

No comments: