Thursday, April 2, 2009

Machine Gun Legal?!!!

Ok, that was an obvious April Fools prank. “Machine Guns now legal to purchase as any handgun, first come first served.” Classic.

But it got my head juice a-flowing…

If machine guns WERE legal, all the onerous regulations on them repealed, and they could be had at reasonable prices (after the initial rush…) what would I want to get?

IF I would want to get a machine gun. Even if ammo came down to 1999 levels along with the legal restrictions on the guns, it’s still EXPENSIVE to shoot off a few magazines on ‘rock-n-roll’ setting.

Attitudes on gun forums arguing over their favorite boomer-shooter model would certainly change, so I’d have to take that into effect in any selection process.

Now, I really like the Browning Automatic Rifle and the Ma Deuce, but practicality is a factor. If you subsidized the ammo for the .50 I still couldn’t afford it. The BAR is rare enough to still be a bit expensive after a repeal. And it is a heavy gun that shoots a rifle ammo I don’t keep in stock. And only the older ones were select fire so that I could shoot it semi-auto. These bullet hoses are sentimental favorites, but maybe not for me.

The P90 is a cool item but, the ammo, again, is very expensive ammo wise.

The only machine guns I’ve actually shot are the German Schmeisser, MP40, and the M2 Carbine. Both are a bit more practical with regard to ammo cost. They are also easier to shoot with less-than-rifle powered cartridges. The MP40 is an absolute joy to shoot, with some very gentle recoil. And its 9mm is a fine cartridge for submachinegun work. Pretty cheap ammo, too. Moreso than .30 Carbine, but .30 isn’t too bad.

I did fire an MG42. That was FUN! It was on a tripod, of course. And the M60 machine gun is pretty much the same thing but American. AND I have some ammo for it. Some. But. Except for the BAR or Bren, I’d only get a full power machine gun that I could mount on a fixed position like a tripod, and how practical is that for one man? Still. The M60E4 and Mk 43 Mod 1 intrigues, and are new production. $8-14k new production… Ouch.

So, back to subbies as the only real alternative for one person to own and feed.

There are other 9mm subbies to choose from. Like the MP5 and the Uzi. And both would be more readily available than the WWII era stuff.

If I wanted to stick to full power pistol rounds there is .45 ACP shooters. The Tommy Gun being a sentimental favorite, but it is a HEAVY subbie. And less available. The KRISS intrigues. It’s new and has an innovative recoil system that, if it works in the field as advertised in their marketing department could be VERY nice indeed. Even with Glock mags.



And I can’t forget .22 submahine guns. The .22 isn’t SUPER reliable for cycling the action on full auto, but it makes up for it by being cheap and fun, if not cheap and practical.

Mustn’t forget the select fire AR types. These would proliferate the fastest, I bet. Especially if the surplus market opened up. But I don’t have any .223 and it is an expensive round when the only purpose I’d have for it would be in roles a cheaper 9mm could fill.

I don’t think if would be worth it to convert my M1A to a real M14, even if the receiver modifications were free, it’s still too hard to control. Same with any lighter .308 rifle.

So where does that leave me in the selection process? Sub machine gun, definitely, for cheap ammo and controllability. Either in .45 which I have some of but would soon run out, or the new to me 9mm which is fine. Of the available models out there just about any would be fine with no ideal model leading the pack. I guess a KRISS would lead the pack. A subbie I select would HAVE to have a shoulder stock of some kind.

Of course, if it was legal, gun manufacturers would pretty quickly develop and produce NEW models. That Magpul folding snubbie would/could come out. KRISS in 9mm offerings? .40? .380? A KRISS type that shot .40 and took SIG magazines would jump to the head of the line on my get-list.

I wonder if Kel Tec could come up with a cheap 21st century M3 Grease-Gun equivalent, done up in plastic, for less than $1000….

Jeff Cooper would ask, “Yes, but what’s it FOR?” Meaning what practical use is having a mythical, non-existent, KRISS .40 or ANY sub-machinegun. (Cooper would fully appreciate the impractical purposes of sub machineguns. They are fun to shoot!) The colonel concluded there are few roles at which such ‘squirt guns’ excel. Special forces. Attacking a conference room full of James Bond style arch-villains plotting the world’s demise. Repelling boarders on the high seas. Not too much else. So no hurry if machine gun regulation miraculously 'liberalize.' (a funny word, in this case...)


3 comments:

Jay G said...

If we saw a repeal of the NFA regulations, I'd be looking for something in either .45 ACP or 9mm with a drop-in .22LR conversion.

Or, alternately, pick up a Mac-10 or 11 just for S&Gs...

Sure, it's a poorly-made POS, but for $300 or so, it'd be fun for a day of converting currency into noise...

lordjim said...

If they repealed the NFA regulations Auto Ordinance would probably start building full auto Thompson SMGs again. That would be my first choice. Yeah it's heavy but that helps with the recoil. RPK would be next on the list, then an MP5. I know I'd only take them out once or twice a year but it would totally rock.

Unknown said...

For the light units. It's not so much the full auto that interests me. But burst.

The way I look at it, full auto will burn through ammo so quickly that it'll be a 1 or 2 shot gun.

But burst is advantageous. Give me the option for 3-5 rounds. And with a 30 rnd mag becomes a 6-10 shot gun. But one more likely to take out a target.

I'd really love that option...

***

Then I'd go for a heavier, mountable, belt fed machine gun in full auto.

But man, just the fact that you could easily shoot a used car out of a .50 caliber machine gun in a minute or two. (As in the amount of money to buy the ammo for a few minutes full auto, you could buy a used car.