Friday, October 19, 2012

NaNoWriMo

Last year...

I started a novel for National Novel Writing Month.  I failed.  Skyrim came out and I only got to about 25,000 words.  You need 40k at least to have a novel. 

The story is about zombies.  And a private detective.  Set in DC during the Depression.  I don't know if there is 40,000 words IN this story, but whatever.  I do want to finish.  I petered out with the final Act anyway.

This year I thought of a way to actually wrap up the story that had eluded me last year.  So a little inspiration strikes.  And I have a good flashback to maybe get it up over 30k words.

Maybe I'll finish it with month to spare and do some editting this November.

If I get it polished up (and you know ME and typos...) I'll let some buddies read it.  If they like it, maybe then I'll think about electronic publishing. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pro Tip: Go back and make sure every page touches all the senses. Textures, smells, visuals, tastes and sounds.

Use real brand names. He smokes Lucky Strikes, eats Lorna Dunes with his * O'Clock coffee. He drives a Buick and drinks Old Grandad.

Include a mental soundtrack. Things the characters would never say out loud.

If it's in the first person, have the narrator take tangents, do flashbacks to show his though process.

Show us, don't tell us...

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Right with you, anon

Anonymous said...

If you want it to sell, put in 3 or 4 hard core sex scenes. That's good for another 10,000 words if you do them right!

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Peyton Place?