Monday, October 20, 2014

Mudville 2

So, Springfield won't fix my gun right, what do I do now?

Well, there are options... As commenters have noted

Pay the gunsmith, locally.  Good time to get other things done, like a dovetail cut for the front sight.

Or, I can do it myself.  I have a very nice drill press.  I can order parts from brownells.  I can figure out the drill bit size to use.

Or, coincidentally, the ejector could 'come free' at a range trip tomorrow.  And I can call Springfield again and say, hey, the ejector just fell out somehow, and is this a defect you will FIX RIGHT FOR ME?!

Do they not pin the ejector on their Performance Center Guns?  Oh, they DO?  Like it was the right way to do it?  Oh my!  I bet they rifle the barrels of their Performance Center Guns.  Imagine if Springfield stopped rifling the barrels of Range Officer 1911s...  They could save a lot of money in production and really up the profits.

I dunno if I'd trust em, NOW to fix the ejector, though.

8 comments:

Old NFO said...

Sandy Garrett, GOOD gunsmith if you decide to go that way... Fullerton Rd, Springfield, VA

Tam said...

You are being silly about this.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

AM I?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angus McThag said...

I am curious about the change since, like I mentioned, my USGI model from Springfield is pinned like it should be.

That was the bottom end of the price range in 2007... They've cheaped out since then, apparently.

Tam said...

I dunno. I know that most were glued back when I was still slinging guns across the glass. Is yours a Milspec or an Even Milspeccer Milspec? Does it have an NM prefix?

Tam said...

I especially liked this comment:

"You need heat to get the Black to break free. Good thing guns never get hot, I guess.... "

If that part of the gun got hot enough to affect the Loctite, it'd blister the shooter's paw, don't you think?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

"If that part of the gun got hot enough to affect the Loctite, it'd blister the shooter's paw, don't you think?"

Thousand rounds? Thousand times.

Well, not break-the-Loctite hot just that once with the first round. But hot/cool hot/cool hot/cool that many times? Maybe. Maybe 200 times.

Was it the same guy gluing that couldn't fit the disconnector spring to the gun safely without bending the finger like this? I don't trust that guy already. Too much of a hurry. Sure it works... Just not totally cricket.

Angus McThag said...

Not a NM prefix, WW. Brazilian frame.

Didn't even think to check how the thing was held in until I read NJT's threads because it's been working fine.